Opposing Tyranny - Governor Ron DeSantis

Geee

opposing-tyranny
American Mind

The following is adapted from a speech delivered at the Claremont Institute Gala, held on October 23, 2021 in Huntington Beach, California.

Over the last year and a half, we’ve stood up to entrenched bureaucrats and the partisan corporate press to keep Florida open and to protect individual Floridians’ right to work to own and operate their own businesses and to make sure that every single child had the right to be in school in person. We don’t lock people down in the state of Florida, we lift people up.

When you’re a governor and you get elected, they elect you to make the decisions. They did not elect me to subcontract out leadership to Fauci. I had to look to see what needed to be done to protect the people of my state.

In his farewell address, which is well-known for warning about the perils of the military-industrial complex—and that was obviously a very astute observation—Dwight Eisenhower also warned about the increasing prevalence of scientific research intermingling with government money and he talked about there was a danger that public policy could be held captive by a scientific elite, he said the job of a statesman is not to allow policy to be held captive by one faction of society, but to harmonize all the competing interests and to make sure that you’re leading on behalf of the entire country, or, in my case, entire state. And that’s what we’ve done and we did what was right, we looked at the data ourselves, and Florida is better for it. And it’s not just on Covid that we’ve been standing out. Many of you may appreciate this, being from California. In Florida, we have the lowest per capita tax burden in the United States.:snip: