Real conservatives must make a choice

Valin

580418-real-conservatives-must-make-a-choice
The Hill

Glenn C. Altschuler, *opinion contributor

11/07/21

For decades, conservatives who favored small government, stability, order, the rule of law, and respect for established institutions found a congenial home in the Republican Party.

These days, the GOP is more like a wholly-owned Trump subsidiary, which pledges allegiance to conspiracy theories, white supremacy, and voter suppression, rather than a political party with a coherent conservative philosophy and policy agenda.

(Snip)

The MAGA GOP no longer represents the values of conservatives and small d democrats. Nonetheless, as last Tuesday’s election results demonstrate, the party remains a potent force in American politics, hell-bent on regaining control of the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the White House.

Reason enough, then, to heed the admonition of the philosopher George Santayana: “Those who cannot remember the past [or, I would add, choose to ignore it] are condemned to repeat it.”

Glenn C. Altschuler is the Thomas and Dorothy Litwin Professor of American Studies at Cornell University. He is the co-author (with Stuart Blumin) of "Rude Republic: Americans and Their Politics in the Nineteenth Century."

________________________________________________________________________________

* Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has got one, Most of them stink, and should never be shown in public.

21 minutes ago, Valin said:
580418-real-conservatives-must-make-a-choice
The Hill

Glenn C. Altschuler, *opinion contributor

11/07/21

For decades, conservatives who favored small government, stability, order, the rule of law, and respect for established institutions found a congenial home in the Republican Party.

These days, the GOP is more like a wholly-owned Trump subsidiary, which pledges allegiance to conspiracy theories, white supremacy, and voter suppression, rather than a political party with a coherent conservative philosophy and policy agenda.

(Snip)

The MAGA GOP no longer represents the values of conservatives and small d democrats. Nonetheless, as last Tuesday’s election results demonstrate, the party remains a potent force in American politics, hell-bent on regaining control of the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the White House.

Reason enough, then, to heed the admonition of the philosopher George Santayana: “Those who cannot remember the past [or, I would add, choose to ignore it] are condemned to repeat it.”

Glenn C. Altschuler is the Thomas and Dorothy Litwin Professor of American Studies at Cornell University. He is the co-author (with Stuart Blumin) of "Rude Republic: Americans and Their Politics in the Nineteenth Century."

________________________________________________________________________________

* Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has got one, Most of them stink, and should never be shown in public.

I do agree with some articles that I have read that it is wrong for Trump to claim Virginia was a victory for him. I  don't think he had anything to do with it. His ego sometimes irritates me. It was a victory for the American People getting fed up with elites , among other things, telling them how to raise their children and teaching them things that are not from their thinking or values. That is a bigger victory than it being about Trump. If it had  been solely ab out Trump, I don't think it would have even happened.

@Geee

"His ego sometimes irritates me." You and I both. That and the Ever Trumpers. Example Mike Pence: The Greatest VP in History. Until Early Jan. 2021, Suddenly Over Night he becomes Satan.

1 minute ago, Valin said:

@Geee

"His ego sometimes irritates me." You and I both. That and the Ever Trumpers. Example Mike Pence: The Greatest VP in History. Until Early Jan. 2021, Suddenly Over Night he becomes Satan.

You know the saying "they can't cheat if it ain't close", I think the election would have been just that his personality didn't get in the way of his accomplishments. He achieved many wonderful things, things that other Republicans were promising for years buts isn't deliver and I greatly greatly appreciated that. So many were overshadowed  by controversy, some his making - many not, and are now being reversed by Brandon and Company.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geee said:

You know the saying "they can't cheat if it ain't close", I think the election would have been just that his personality didn't get in the way of his accomplishments. He achieved many wonderful things, things that other Republicans were promising for years buts isn't deliver and I greatly greatly appreciated that. So many were overshadowed  by controversy, some his making - many not, and are now being reversed by Brandon and Company.

OTOH

8f538a34166badfc9fbf663c50a60c9b.jpg

Donald Trump. The Burt Gummer Of Politics!