Feds reportedly raid Project Veritas-linked apartments over Ashley Biden’s diary

Valin

19 hours ago, Valin said:

The O’Keefe Project: The Times restrained

Scott Johnson

December 25, 2021

The O’Keefe Project: The Times restrained (2)

Scott Johnson

Dec. 26 2021

(Snip)

The Daily Mail covers the Times editorial in its accustomed style here. The long Daily Mail story sheds a little more light than the Times editorial with the additional background it provides.

My college classmate Owen Hughes writes from Connecticut to comment:

I believe in the First Amendment and I think the NYT has badly abused the trust placed in it as an essential actor under the First Amendment. So, forgive me, I hope the NYT takes a real beating. More power to the judge in this case, and more power to O’Keefe.

My only other comment, as a lawyer with 40-odd years of caring for clients, is that attorney-client privilege is damn near sacrosanct. How can it ever be right to read the advice a client receives under privilege, and not just (unavoidably) learn the contents, but act upon them? To the direct detriment of that client? And then PUBLISH material based on them? I’m sorry, the taint is ineradicable and very black indeed. Yet the Times seems to see nothing amiss? To hell with them.

That is a perspective that has been not been reflected in the Times’s extensive coverage of O’Keefe and Project Veritas case so far.

• 2 months later...

How Stupid can A NY Times Reporter be?

Feb. 28 2022

NEW YORK – Feb. 28, 2022] Project Veritas has published a phone call between a Project Veritas employee and New York Times journalist, Mike Schmidt, wherein Schmidt uses a flurry of F bombs in attempts to “figure out what happened with a stupid f**king diary,” a direct quote from Schmidt. Schmidt is referring to the Times’ ongoing coverage of FBI raids at the homes of Project Veritas journalists regarding the diary of Joe Biden’s daughter, Ashley. Despite Schmidt’s previous reporting on the matter, he seems to acknowledge Project Veritas’ actions, as it pertains to obtaining the diary, are standard procedure in journalism. “Would you [Project Veritas] be the first organization on the face of the Earth to go out and buy something in the middle of a political election and try to publish a story? No. There’s a strict, you know, a stream of American journalism in that area,” Schmidt says on the call. In another soundbite, Schmidt appears to make an appeal for the Project Veritas employee to trust him. “If I was in the business of saying to people like you, ‘Hey, look. Level with me. I’m trying to figure out the facts,’ and turned around and f**king you? Then, I wouldn’t be able to do what I do. I just wouldn’t and it would also be the wrong thing to do,” Schmidt said in an apparent attempt to recruit the Project Veritas employee into becoming a NYT source. “Not that I’m some moralist or, like, whatever. I’m just some dude out there with a f**kin’ blank notepad in the crazy f**kin’ world trying to figure out what the f**k’s going on.”

Here's You Answer.

• 3 weeks later...

The O’Keefe Project: Raid video

Scott Johnson

Mar. 16 2022

In November and December I published a series of 14 posts under the heading of “The O’Keefe Project.” The series arises from the work of James O’Keefe/Project Veritas in the matter of Ashley Biden’s diary and the 2020 election.

O’Keefe et al. were raided last year under a federal search warrant procured by the FBI. Although O’Keefe was instructed to remain mum, the authorities promptly leaked news of the raids to the New York Times

(Snip)

Now Project Veritas has posted video of one of the FBI November raids (below). It isn’t particularly illuminating, but it serves to remind us of a few questions. How did Ashley Biden’s diary become a federal case? What is the FBI doing here? O’Keefe promises more to come at the conclusion of the video, but I doubt that we’ll get answers to those questions any time soon.

Mar. 22 2022

Microsoft Corporation legal documents obtained by Project Veritas show that after a U.S. District Court Judge rejected the DOJ’s argument to ignore Project Veritas’ “journalistic privileges,” the DOJ went behind the judge’s back to obtain an extension on two sealed non-disclosure orders from a magistrate judge to conceal the fact they already had unsupervised and unfettered access to privileged emails and contacts of eight Project Veritas journalists.

Judge Torres had ruled that prosecutors must operate under the supervision of a Special Master to ensure first amendment protections are upheld for Project Veritas journalists and their source material.

These documents reveal that the government not only ignored that order, but also attempted to hide the fact they had obtained emails for time periods far outside the scope of the investigation. [NEW YORK – Mar. 22, 2022] Bombshell Microsoft Corporation legal documents released by Project Veritas reveal that President Biden’s Department of Justice filed a series of secret warrants, orders, and a subpoena to surreptitiously collect privileged, and constitutionally protected, communications and contacts of eight Project Veritas journalists from Microsoft Corporation.

The Department of Justice then muzzled Microsoft from disclosing these orders via a series of secrecy orders signed by magistrates.

The documents further reveal the DOJ then went behind U.S. District Court Judge, Analisa Torres’, back to obtain extensions on the gag-orders on Microsoft from magistrate judges after Judge Torres ruled Project Veritas was entitled to “journalistic privileges.”

Despite multiple opportunities to do so, the DOJ has not publicly disclosed the orders, warrants, or subpoenas to Judge Torres or Special Master Judge Barbara Jones – who was appointed by Judge Torres to protect Veritas’ “journalistic privileges” from potential DOJ overreach. Judge Torres ruled that the DOJ’s investigation must be overseen by Judge Jones and ordered the DOJ not to review any materials seized from Project Veritas without Judge Jones’ approval.

Paul Calli, an attorney for Project Veritas, fiercely opposed the actions from the DOJ which he called an act of “violence” to the First Amendment.

In a motion filed Tuesday, Calli argued, “By the time [Project Veritas] filed the Motion to Appoint a Special Master, the government already had the opportunity to review Project Veritas’ journalistic and attorney-client privileged materials.” Based on preliminary research data, the SDNY appears to be in possession of nearly 150K documents they should not have. In addition to the emails, the SDNY obtained over one thousand contacts from journalists that they also failed to disclose to Judge Torres or to the Special Master.

(Snip)

Bold Me

4 minutes ago, Valin said:

Mar. 22 2022

Microsoft Corporation legal documents obtained by Project Veritas show that after a U.S. District Court Judge rejected the DOJ’s argument to ignore Project Veritas’ “journalistic privileges,” the DOJ went behind the judge’s back to obtain an extension on two sealed non-disclosure orders from a magistrate judge to conceal the fact they already had unsupervised and unfettered access to privileged emails and contacts of eight Project Veritas journalists.

Judge Torres had ruled that prosecutors must operate under the supervision of a Special Master to ensure first amendment protections are upheld for Project Veritas journalists and their source material.

These documents reveal that the government not only ignored that order, but also attempted to hide the fact they had obtained emails for time periods far outside the scope of the investigation. [NEW YORK – Mar. 22, 2022] Bombshell Microsoft Corporation legal documents released by Project Veritas reveal that President Biden’s Department of Justice filed a series of secret warrants, orders, and a subpoena to surreptitiously collect privileged, and constitutionally protected, communications and contacts of eight Project Veritas journalists from Microsoft Corporation.

The Department of Justice then muzzled Microsoft from disclosing these orders via a series of secrecy orders signed by magistrates.

The documents further reveal the DOJ then went behind U.S. District Court Judge, Analisa Torres’, back to obtain extensions on the gag-orders on Microsoft from magistrate judges after Judge Torres ruled Project Veritas was entitled to “journalistic privileges.”

Despite multiple opportunities to do so, the DOJ has not publicly disclosed the orders, warrants, or subpoenas to Judge Torres or Special Master Judge Barbara Jones – who was appointed by Judge Torres to protect Veritas’ “journalistic privileges” from potential DOJ overreach. Judge Torres ruled that the DOJ’s investigation must be overseen by Judge Jones and ordered the DOJ not to review any materials seized from Project Veritas without Judge Jones’ approval.

Paul Calli, an attorney for Project Veritas, fiercely opposed the actions from the DOJ which he called an act of “violence” to the First Amendment.

In a motion filed Tuesday, Calli argued, “By the time [Project Veritas] filed the Motion to Appoint a Special Master, the government already had the opportunity to review Project Veritas’ journalistic and attorney-client privileged materials.” Based on preliminary research data, the SDNY appears to be in possession of nearly 150K documents they should not have. In addition to the emails, the SDNY obtained over one thousand contacts from journalists that they also failed to disclose to Judge Torres or to the Special Master.

(Snip)

Bold Me

Well well, a continuance of the Obama Administration for sure. Ask Sheryl Akisson, who had her computer hacked by them.

1 minute ago, Geee said:

Well well, a continuance of the Obama Administration for sure. Ask Sheryl Akisson, who had her computer hacked by them.

Remember The Obama administration trying to ban Fox News?

Connect The Dots. How far back do you want to go? The Port Huron Statement (1962) and the rise of The New Left?

I know I'm sounding like some Tin Foil Hat wearing Nutter, but I'm seeing connections between (say) Sheryl Akisson computer Hacked, Green New Deal, Russian Collusion, CRT, etc etc, etc etc. You'll see a lot of the same people/ideology involved.

Something we always need to keep in mind (H/T Jonah Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning") is Fascism Is On The Left.  Yes Yes he has gone Full Never Trump, but that doesn't mean he was wrong on This.

I may have to reread this again.

The O’Keefe Project: Surveillance edition

Scott Johnson

Mar. 22 2022

(Snip)

Project Veritas has just posted the video below of James O’Keefe briefly telling the story. Project Veritas also lays out the story in the companion the post “Microsoft Corporation Legal Documents Show Biden DOJ Spying on Project Veritas Journalists; Hides it from Federal Court Judge.”

Project Veritas has posted the relevant documents in its possession online. They are linked at the bottom of the Project Veritas post. Among them are the motion for relief that Project Veritas is filing with Judge Analisa Torres today as well as Microsoft’s draft (unfiled) motion to vacate the nondisclosure order. The Microsoft motion is marked “for discussion purposes.” The “discussion” would be with the SDNY prosecutors about “modifying” the nondisclosure order by which Microsoft was bound.

I take it that the threat of Microsoft filing the motion with the court triggered the disclosure of the previously sealed warrants and nondisclosure orders. On its face the whole thing is chilling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...