How 'Let's Go Brandon!' became a national social media sensation

Valin

The AP Discovers the 'Code' Behind 'Let's Go Brandon' Cheer

In a magnificent piece of investigative reporting, the Associated Press has discovered that the viral phrase “Let’s Go Brandon” is actually “code” for a far more vulgar insult of our beloved president Joe Biden.

The AP “wire service” — a misnomer in a wireless age — took great pains to explain where “Let’s Go Brandon” originated and the shocking truth about the people shouting it: They don’t like Joe Biden very much.:snip:

39 minutes ago, Geee said:

The AP Discovers the 'Code' Behind 'Let's Go Brandon' Cheer

In a magnificent piece of investigative reporting, the Associated Press has discovered that the viral phrase “Let’s Go Brandon” is actually “code” for a far more vulgar insult of our beloved president Joe Biden.

The AP “wire service” — a misnomer in a wireless age — took great pains to explain where “Let’s Go Brandon” originated and the shocking truth about the people shouting it: They don’t like Joe Biden very much.:snip:

Even the racism and vitriol to which former President Barack Obama was subjected was tempered in part because Twitter was relatively new.

Racism? Not that I recall. The vitriol had nothing to do with his color. If I may quote Donald Trump. "FAKE NEWS"

10 minutes ago, Geee said:

Jason Aldean concert goers break out into 'F--- Joe Biden' chant

Country music fans were seen chanting "F--- Joe Biden" at a recent Jason Aldean concert. 

"Country Music Fans chant ‘FJB’ at a Jason Aldean Concert. #FJB #LetsGoBrandon," a Twitter user posted on Saturday evening, accompanied by video of the scene. :snip:

If I were running for reelection as a Democrat, LGB might give me disturbing thoughts.

Anti-Biden rallying cry 'Lets Go Brandon' causes mainstream media meltdown

:snip:Memes, jokes, and comments immediately began to spread across the internet posted by users mocking NBC’s coverage during the interview. The "F--k Joe Biden!" chants, which began at some large sporting events across the country as the president’s poll numbers sagged, have now been replaced in some venues with "Let’s Go Brandon" chants.

"This is, I think, a witty and funny viral take on the media’s dishonesty that they tell us something that is clearly not true that we can see with our own eyes, and that is why I think it’s so popular with so many people," Outkick founder Clay Travis said on Monday during "America’s Newsroom." 

But the chant’s popularity has infuriated the left, resulting in an onslaught of angry tweets, columns and hot takes from liberal pundits. NPR labeled the term "vulgar" and CNN’s Edward-Issac Dovere was so offended by the phrase that he called it "an inside joke telling the president of the United States to perform a sexual act on himself."

Washington Post reporters Ashley Parker and Carissa Wolf wrote on what they considered "vitriol" from Biden critics in a piece titled "Biden’s critics hurl increasingly vulgar taunts.":snip:

11 hours ago, Geee said:

"This is, I think, a witty and funny viral take on the media’s dishonesty that they tell us something that is clearly not true that we can see with our own eyes, and that is why I think it’s so popular with so many people," Outkick founder Clay Travis said on Monday during "America’s Newsroom." 

Like a great many effective barbs, the left can't handle humor and ridicule, especially when it's so innocuous.

Unlike like "Ask the Russians for Hillary's emails" the media appears to be having a hard time turning this one into an accusation they can use against the speaker. 

It also has the advantage of being applicable to other purposes with minor changes. . . like greeting Harris with "Let's go Brenda!" 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SDwaters said:

Like a great many effective barbs, the left can't handle humor and ridicule, especially when it's so innocuous.

Unlike like "Ask the Russians for Hillary's emails" the media appears to be having a hard time turning this one into an accusation they can use against the speaker. 

It also has the advantage of being applicable to other purposes with minor changes. . . like greeting Harris with "Let's go Brenda!" 

They Can’t Stand It When We Ridicule Them

I must admit it. I must come clean. I try turning myself over to the better angels of my nature, but I don’t know if they will have any luck, because I am 100%, prime time, on board the “Let’s Go Brandon!” bandwagon.

Stop and think—ridicule is a potent weapon against one’s adversaries. Everyone hates to be laughed at; humiliation is one of the more common and universally effective ways to isolate someone or, alternatively, to persuade them to change their behavior.

For some, the simple act of wearing a t-shirt with “Let’s Go Brandon!” emblazoned on it is a non-verbal act of rebellion For the Left, “Brandon” is now a Paul Bunyan-sized mountain of a man who is taking a devastating ax to their agenda and their narrative, with every t-shirt and meme ridiculing them in disastrously funny and effective ways.

Like many other commentators have observed, “Let’s Go Brandon!” has its roots in Saul Alinksy’s Rules for Radicals:

Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. There is no defense. It is almost impossible to counterattack ridicule. Also, it infuriates the opposition, who then react to your advantage.:snip:

The Life of Brandon

:snip:

As Byron York of the Washington Examiner has noted, Donald Trump’s opponents gloried in the F-word, such that without it some of them would have been rendered practically mute. When Robert De Niro introduced Bruce Springsteen at the 2018 Tony Awards, he used the opportunity to declare: “I’m gonna say one thing. F— Trump.” Cue the standing ovation.

A Los Angeles art gallery had a “F— Trump” exhibit, rapper Eminem led a “F—Trump” call-and-response at a concert in England, and so on.

If lobbing this particular vulgarity is now completely out of bounds, the new progressive rule is “F— you” for me, but not for thee.:snip:

Byron York's Daily Memo: Biden, Brandon, and F-word politics

:snip:

In case you have forgotten, the level of hostility directed at President Donald Trump — and the prominence of those attacking the president — far exceeded anything seen so far in the Biden administration. To illustrate the point, just focus specifically on the phrase, "F--- Trump."

In June 2018, the actor Robert De Niro appeared at the Tony Awards ceremony in New York. His role was to introduce a performance by Bruce Springsteen, but he started with this: "I'm gonna say one thing. F--- Trump." The audience gave De Niro a standing ovation. As they cheered, De Niro said, "It's no longer down with Trump. It's f--- Trump." Now, this was not some woman standing on a street corner in Scranton, Pennsylvania. It was the most celebrated and honored actor of his generation, appearing before the entertainment elite in a nationally televised event, saying, with great pride, "F--- Trump."

In June 2020, a Los Angeles art gallery organized a "hybrid virtual exhibition and protest where all of the works read 'F--- Trump,'" according to Los Angeles magazine. The article went on to say that, "Also integral to the campaign is the logo, with a middle finger thrust up in the center of the 'u' in Trump."

In August 2017, the rapper Eminem appeared at a music festival in England. During his set, he launched into an anti-Trump diatribe. "The audience cheered and began chanting 'F--- Donald Trump' unprompted," Billboard reported, "while Eminem then said he had a request of the audience: 'When I say 'F---,' you say 'Trump'!"

These are just three examples of a very widespread phenomenon. Anyone paying any attention during that time will remember them. But now, the Washington Post says, there is a new phenomenon, one that is "on another level, far more vulgar and widespread" than the insults directed at Trump.:snip:

Let’s Go, Brandon! The Media’s Desperate Attempts To Protect Biden Spectacularly Backfire

Over the weekend, a song by little-known rap artist Bryson Gray leaped to No. 1 on Apple Music, supplanting the latest song by 15-time-Grammy-Award-winning Adele.

More surprising is that Gray’s song – “Let’s Go, Brandon” – is a Biden-bashing tune that had so offended the delicate sensibilities of the censors at Google’s YouTube and Facebook’s Instagram that they banned the video from their platforms.

The Big Brothers at YouTube said the song contained “medical misinformation” and Instagram’s excuse was that the video spread “harmful false information.”

Let’s rewind the tape.

“Let’s Go, Brandon” became a popular online meme after an NBC reporter was shown interviewing NASCAR winner Brandon Brown as the crowd behind them unmistakably chanted “F*** Joe Biden.”

In an attempt to gaslight viewers on behalf of Biden, the reporter’s response to the serenade was to utter: “Brandon … as you can hear the chants from the crowd: ‘Let’s go, Brandon!’”

Suddenly, that phrase started showing up everywhere, on T-shirts, in headlines, and across the internet. One traveler had it announced over an airport public address system. A Southwest Airlines pilot is being investigated for saying “Let’s go, Brandon” over the intercom. The term even has its own Wikipedia page.

So, by trying to protect President Joe Biden from the embarrassment of  “F*** Joe Biden” chants, the media created an even more popular saying – one that can’t be censored but gets the message out just the same.

Except, then they did try to censor it.

By taking down Gray’s “Let’s Go, Brandon” video – on the ludicrous grounds that it was spreading misinformation about COVID vaccines – YouTube and Instagram apparently helped propel the song’s popularity and drive it to the No. 1 spot. At least, that’s what Gray thinks.:snip:

From Virginia to Seattle, voters chant ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ in Biden-snubbing election

Ten months into the Biden Era, the American electorate has spoken up, and it sounds a lot like a rowdy, fired-up crowd at a college football game:

“Let’s Go Brandon!!!”

The catchphrase of the year — a sanitized way of saying “F–k Joe Biden” that amounts to a dual-warhead cruise missile raining down equal contempt on both our blundering president and the media who shamelessly cover for him — is a three-word encapsulation of everything the voters had to say to Democrats Tuesday, from Puget Sound to Long Island Sound. The word “reeling” appeared in so many press accounts in descriptions of Democrats Wednesday morning that the political news looked like an issue of Field & Stream.:snip: