Manchin can't hide his anger, walks out as Schumer bashes GOP in speech

Geee

sen-joe-manchin-shows-frustration-during-chuck-schumers-gop-floor-speech
NY Post
  •  

Sen. Joe Manchin couldn’t bear to watch Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer’s GOP-trashing floor speech Thursday night — covering his face and ultimately walking away during the comments.

The animated reaction came as Schumer was speaking before the Senate officially extended the government’s borrowing authority — and it was all captured by a CSPAN camera.

“Republicans played a dangerous and risky partisan game, and I am glad that their brinksmanship did not work,” Schumer began his remarks, with Manchin sitting behind him in view of the camera.

As Schumer cast blame on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and GOP Senators, Manchin first appeared to shake his head then pressed his palms to his face in dismay:snip:

Biden Warned In Letter Ripping Schumer’s Speech: ‘Even Democratic Senators Were Visibly Embarrassed’

:snip:

McConnell continued:

Remarkably, even as Republicans saved Americans from his crisis, Senator Schumer kept compounding his failures. Last night, in a bizarre spectacle, Senator Schumer exploded in a rant that was so partisan, angry, and corrosive that even Democratic Senators were visibly embarrassed by him and for him. This tantrum encapsulated and escalated a pattern of angry incompetence from Senator Schumer. It was reminiscent of last year when he joined a protest on the steps of the Supreme Court and shouted threats at individual Justices by name.

This childish behavior only further alienated the Republican members who helped facilitate this short-term patch. It has poisoned the well even further.

I am writing to make it clear that in light of Senator Schumer’s hysterics and my grave concerns about the ways that another vast, reckless, partisan spending bill would hurt Americans and help China, I will not be a party to any further effort to mitigate the consequences of Democratic mismanagement. Your lieutenants on Capitol Hill now have the time they claimed they lacked to address the debt ceiling through standalone reconciliation, and all the tools to do it. They cannot invent another crisis and ask for my help.

Schumer’s speech left Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) exasperated as he looked on and buried his face in his hands, an image that quickly went viral online.:snip:

• Like 1