Republican Who Won Election in Latino-majority Town Explains How That Happened

Geee

republican-who-won-election-in-latinomajority-town-explains-how-that-happened-n2590937
Townhall

Javier Villalobos, the mayor-elect of McAllen, Texas, explained on Saturday the changes that are taking place in his town, which is 85 percent Latino.

Speaking to Fox News’s Neil Cavuto, Villalobos said he believes Hispanic voters are “opening their eyes.”

As Cavuto pointed out, this is the same area Hillary Clinton defeated Donald Trump in 2016 by 40 points, and which Biden also beat Trump by roughly 20 points in the 2020 election.

While Villalobos noted that it was a nonpartisan race, voters knew he was the former chairman of the Hidalgo County GOP.

“It’s amazing what happened here in South Texas,” Villalobos said about the election, which he narrowly won by about 220 votes. “I think generally the Hispanic community is very conservative, yet, traditionally, they voted Democrat. It’s amazing what happened this past election. I think our numbers, as far as conservative voters, were up by substantially. We finally, finally, have competition in South Texas. So, I think it’s going to open up the doors for a lot of people.”:snip:

• Like 1