Mike Rowe Is Right: A Higher Minimum Wage Takes Away Stepping-Stone Jobs

Geee

mike-rowe-is-right-a-higher-minimum-wage-takes-away-stepping-stone-jobs
The Federalist

I worked a “dirty job.” On my 14th birthday, I cleaned toilets, for the then-minimum wage of $3.35. That’s how I know Mike Rowe is right about them.

Over the weekend, while promoting his new Discovery Channel show “Six Degrees,” Mike Rowe shared some thoughts on the push to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour. Appearing on Fox Business, the former “Dirty Jobs” star said he wants “everybody who works hard and plays fair to prosper.”

As the host, executive producer, and creator of “Six Degrees,” which focuses on the interconnectedness of the world throughout history, Rowe added:

I want everybody to be able to support themselves. But if you just pull the money out of midair you’re going to create other problems, like there is a ladder of success that people climb and some of those jobs that are out there for seven, eight, nine dollars an hour, in my view, they’re simply not intended to be careers. They’re not intended to be full-time jobs. They’re rungs on a ladder.

Rather than address the substance of Rowe’s critique, the left pounced, parlaying his comments as a modern-day equivalent of Marie Antoinette’s likely apocryphal, “Let them eat cake.”:snip: