Taliban rejects U.S. peace plan, six month extension in withdrawal deadline

Valin

taliban-rejects-u-s-peace-plan-six-month-extension-in-withdrawal-deadline.php
FDD's Long War Journal

Thomas Joscelyn

April 12, 2021

The Taliban has published a statement rejecting the reported terms of a State Department peace plan for Afghanistan, as well as a proposed six-month delay in the U.S. withdrawal from the country.

The message was published in English on the Taliban’s Voice of Jihad website, which produces media in multiple languages for the group’s Islamic Emirate.

Earlier this month, President Biden said that while he “can’t picture” American forces in Afghanistan next year, it was going to be “hard” to meet the May 1 withdrawal date set in the Trump administration’s deal with the Taliban. The Taliban, which refers to itself as the Islamic Emirate throughout its statement, once again rejects a delay in the U.S. withdrawal.

“The Islamic Emirate responded firmly to Biden’s comments and announced that if the occupying forces do not leave by the agreed upon date, then attacks shall resume,” the Taliban warns, repeating an earlier threat to attack American and NATO forces should they fail to depart by May 1.

(Snip)

Biden to withdraw troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11

President Joe Biden will end America’s war in Afghanistan with a phased withdrawal of the remaining U.S. troops there that will conclude by Sept. 11 — the 20th anniversary of the conflict, a senior administration official said Tuesday.

The United States maintains some 2,500 troops and another 1,000 special forces in Afghanistan, working to root out terrorists and train Afghan security forces. NATO and partner forces provide another 7,000 troops and had been waiting for a U.S. decision to plan their own withdrawal or extension. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Secretary of State Antony Blinken are set to meet with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Wednesday in Brussels to discuss the plans.

Biden’s decision will break a peace agreement signed between the Trump administration and the Taliban that required the full U.S. troop withdrawal by May 1.:snip:

5 hours ago, Geee said:

Biden to withdraw troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11

President Joe Biden will end America’s war in Afghanistan with a phased withdrawal of the remaining U.S. troops there that will conclude by Sept. 11 — the 20th anniversary of the conflict, a senior administration official said Tuesday.

He's just finishing up the Trump Surrender.

Seen this movie before in 1975.

Rubio: Outcome of war in Afghanistan is 'going to be a terrible thing,' Taliban will 'take over'

"I hope I'm wrong because of the implications, but I don't have a lot of faith that the current government in Afghanistan will be able to survive or hold on for long," said Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio.

Nicholas Ballasy

April 13, 2021

Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio told Just the News that the outcome of the war in Afghanistan is going to be a "terrible thing," predicting that the Taliban will take over the country.

Rubio, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was reacting to the Biden administration's reported plans to announce a withdrawal from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021.

"What they've announced is that they're going to stick with President Trump's decision with regards to Afghanistan," Rubio said on Tuesday. "Look, the outcome is going to be a terrible thing. The Taliban, I believe, will eventually take over the country, as they were in charge before, and it's not going to be a good outcome. 

"The flip side of it is that I'm not sure what the pathway to a better future in the near term was, and, you know, given all the other needs we're facing around the world, you know, once President Trump made that decision, I think the die was cast in that regard."

(Snip)

Biden commemorates 9/11 anniversary with surrender to Taliban

Paul Mirengoff

April 14, 2021

There are various ways the U.S. could commemorate the twentieth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on our homeland. Joe Biden has decided to commemorate them by effectively surrendering to the terrorist outfit that made the attacks possible.

Biden says the U.S. will withdraw from Afghanistan by September 11 of this year. There are arguments in favor of pulling out of that country, although I believe the stronger case is for maintaining our current presence (a subject for a future post). Donald Trump talked about withdrawing for four years and eventually set a May 2022 date for giving up.

Biden doesn’t want to wait another year. Fine. But doesn’t it seem odd to pick September 11 as the date by which we effectively surrender Afghanistan to the Taliban? It was the Taliban, after all, that allied itself with Osama bin Laden and provided him the base from which to attack America.

Biden’s choice of date is symbolic. I suppose his message is that 20 years of fighting in Afghanistan is enough. That message plays well with the Democratic base and, quite possibly, with the country as a whole.

(Snip)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

We can Thank Donald Trump for this, when it comes back to bite us in the butt.