Mueller prosecutor says 'flipping' Trump Organization CFO key to criminal case

Geee

mueller-prosecutor-flipping-trump-organization-cfo-key-criminal-case
Washington Examiner

The key to making a criminal case against former President Donald Trump is getting his company's chief financial officer to flip, according to a top prosecutor in Robert Mueller's special counsel investigation.

There are multiple investigations looking into the 45th president, but Andrew Weissmann, a former Justice Department official and FBI general counsel, sees the most promise in the one being run by District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., who is looking for possible bank, tax, or insurance fraud.

Weissmann told New York magazine that securing the cooperation of Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg will be essential to the prospect of prosecution because of his inside involvement in Trump's business affairs.

"I think a really important piece is going to be flipping the CFO, Weisselberg," Weissmann said. "I think that is going to just be so critical in terms of being able to deal with Trump’s defense of, 'I didn’t know,' or 'Weisselberg was signing off on things, so I had no criminal intent. Who am I to second-guess accounting and legal issues?'":snip: