The Great Liberal Death Wish Enters a New Phase

Valin

the-great-liberal-death-wish-enters-a-new-phase.php
Power Line

Steven Hayward

Apr. 4 2021

“The Great Liberal Death Wish” is Malcolm Muggeridge’s famous theme, which appeared in various iterations over the years. Here’s one version, from which we can extract the essence:

I began to get the feeling that a liberal view of life was not what I’d supposed it to be—a creative movement which would shape the future—but rather a sort of death wish. . . It’s difficult to convey to you what a shock this [recognition of the bankruptcy of liberalism] was, realizing that what I had supposed to be the new brotherly way of life my father and his cronies had imagined long before, was simply on examination an appalling tyranny, in which the only thing that mattered, the only reality, was power. . .

The thing that impressed me, and the thing that touched off my awareness of the great liberal death wish, my sense that western man was, as it were, sleep-walking into his own ruin, was the extraordinary performance of the liberal intelligentsia, who, in those days, flocked to Moscow like pilgrims to Mecca. . .

It was from that moment that I began to get the feeling that a liberal view of life was not what I’d supposed it to be—a creative movement which would shape the future—but rather a sort of death wish. How otherwise could you explain how people, in their own country ardent for equality, bitter opponents of capital punishment and all for more humane treatment of people in prison, supporters, in fact, of every good cause, should in the USSR prostrate themselves before a regime ruled over brutally and oppressively and arbitrarily by a privileged party oligarchy? I still ponder over the mystery of how men displaying critical intelligence in other fields could be so astonishingly deluded.

(Snip)

Postscript: I’ve been wondering whether CNN’s egregious Jim Acosta is in the witness protection program or something as we see so little of him lately, and also wondering how soon he and others like him would admit they secretly miss Trump. We’re not even to Day 100 of the Biden Era, and here he is, as predicted:

CNN’s Jim Acosta said reporters are experiencing “post-Trump stress disorder” following the former president’s exodus from the White House.

You need to read this statement backward to understand what’s really going on (besides ratings that are cratering. . .)