Gaetz on NY Times ‘Underage Girl’ Story: ‘It Is a Horrible Allegation and It Is a Lie’

Geee

gaetz-on-ny-times-underage-girl-story-it-is-a-horrible-allegation-and-it-is-a-lie
Breitbart

Tuesday on FNC’s “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) responded to allegations in a New York Times story that the Justice Department investigated him over whether he had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl.

Gaetz denied the claims, calling them “a lie,” and claimed it was part of an extortion scheme, naming Pensacola, FL lawyer David McGee, a former U.S. Attorney, as

“It is a horrible allegation, and it is a lie,” he said. “The New York Times is running a story that I have traveled with a 17-year-old woman, and that is verifiably false. People can look at my travel records and see that that is not the case. What is happening is an extortion of me and my family involving a former Department of Justice official. On March 16, my father got a text message demanding a meeting wherein a person demanded $25 million in exchange for making horrible sex trafficking allegations against me go away.”:snip:

Dems Come for Rep. Matt Gaetz With 'Unclear' Story: He 'Is Said to Be' 'Possibly' Subject of 'Inquiry.' His Response Is a Shocker [UPDATE]

The New York Times is running with a story that claims “the Justice Department is said to be” “inquiring” into an “unclear” report that it’s “possible” Florida Republican Congressman Matt Gaetz was involved with a 17-year-old girl two years ago.

Having sex with a minor is serious business and should be punished.

No charges have been brought against the congressman. In fact, it’s “unclear,” to use the NYT’s word, whether it even rises to an “investigation.”

Forgive us if we’re a bit skeptical of the same news outfits that “reported” planned leaks that Trump was a Russian secret agent who hired hookers to pee on a bed and then kept reporting this tripe when it was outed as a political oppo hit job by Hillary Clinton and her willing accomplices at the FBI and CIA.

And Gaetz says we’re right to be a little skeptical.

After The Times story broke, Gaetz went public with an even more shocking reply.

In a series of tweets, the congressman fired back with an absolutely gobsmacking explanation for its timing and allegations.

Gaetz says the story came from “organized criminal extortion involving a former DOJ official.”:snip:

Here's what we know about the reported federal investigation into Matt Gaetz

Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz said he is being investigated for alleged criminal sexual activity with a minor and claims a former Department of Justice official is behind a $25 million plot to extort him and his family.

The 38-year-old congressman is being eyed as part of a broader investigation into Joel Greenberg, a political ally who was indicted in 2020 on charges including sex trafficking of a minor and financially supporting people in exchange for sex, at least one of whom was an underage girl, the New York Times reported.

"I was not a target but a subject of an investigation regarding sexual conduct with women," Gaetz said.

The New York Times reported that Gaetz is being investigated as to "whether he had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old and paid for her to travel with him.":snip:

Matt Gaetz digs in on denials. Here is the context

Emily Brooks

April 05, 2021

Nearly a week after news broke of federal investigators looking into whether Matt Gaetz had sex with a 17-year-old, the Florida congressman has not budged in his denials of any illegal activity.

But he has subtly acknowledged some sexually charged behavior.

"I am a representative in Congress, not a monk, and certainly not a criminal," Gaetz wrote in an op-ed for the Washington Examiner.

REP. MATT GAETZ: THE SWAMP IS OUT TO DROWN ME WITH FALSE CHARGES, BUT I'M NOT GIVING UP

Background on allegations: The New York Times reported last Tuesday that the Justice Department was investigating whether Gaetz "had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old and paid for her to travel with him." Investigators started to look into Gaetz as part of a broader investigation into Joel Greenberg, a former tax collector in Seminole County, Florida, and a political ally of Gaetz who was indicted in 2020 on charges including sex trafficking of a minor and financially supporting people in exchange for sex.

(Snip)

Apr. 5 2021

The Matt Gaetz story is very peculiar. The timing. The accusations. The players. From an investigation to extortion. Wires. Leaks. Here is the breakdown.

• 4 months later...

Matt Gaetz Proven Right After Surprise Indictment Drops

With the political zone currently flooded with Afghanistan and COVID news, the saga of Rep. Matt Gaetz has taken a backseat since the spring. At the end of March, a leak that I suspect came from the partisan hacks at the FBI/DOJ exposed the existence of an investigation into the Congressman.

Since then, allegations have flown about sex trafficking and other nefarious activity, though, nothing has ever been substantiated. Meanwhile, Gaetz has been barnstorming the country doing so-called “America First” rallies. Whether that effort has any direct connection with former President Donald Trump is a bit of a mystery.

Still, what was interesting at the time news of the investigation broke is that Gaetz claimed a conspiracy against him. Many in the media dismissed the notion, but I wrote at the time that the evidence supported what he was saying.

Now, in a bit of a surprise move, Gaetz has been proven correct via the indictment of one of the men who tried to extort him and his father.:snip: