How Democrats Finally Got What They Wanted ...

Valin

Austin Councilmember Alison Alter Singles Out APD for Capitol Riot Investigation, Though None of Its Officers Were There

Dear Chief Manley,

Thank you for your time this afternoon. As I stated in our conversation today, I am dismayed by your refusal to proactively investigate whether any APD members participated in the January 6th insurrection.

I would like to ask a follow up question, prompted by a letter that the Joint Chiefs of Staff sent to members of our military in the wake of last week’s events at the Capitol. See READ: Military Joint Chiefs condemn ‘sedition and insurrection’ at US Capitol – CNNPolitics. As the Chief of Police, you too have an opportunity to unmistakably set the tone for the department.  Accordingly, I would like to see a similar communication to all APD officers and staff from you. I suggest that you make clear to every officer and staff member where our department leadership stands. You can send this letter by email or other channels you have available, rather than social media if you wish. Once again I think the letter from the Joint Chiefs of the U.S. Military is a model for you.

Have you sent any such department-wide or officer specific communication out related to the events of Jan. 6 in D.C.? If not, I request that you do this within the next 24 hours as we face major nationwide concerns of violence.

Please send me a copy of your correspondence to all officers or please send me an explanation for why you are doing something different. Let me be clear I expect you to take action immediately.

Regards,

Alison Alter 

Council Member, District 10