Our Constitutional System Passed a Difficult Stress Test - Alan Dershowitz,

Geee

533148-our-constitution-passed-a-difficult-stress-test
The Hill

On Wednesday our Constitution was tested. For the first time in modern history, violent protesters breached the Capitol building and entered the chambers and the offices of members of Congress, endangering lives and destroying property. Deaths and injuries occurred.

The primary fault lies with the protesters themselves. But there is more than enough blame to go around. The Capitol police should have been better prepared for the rioters, who were urged by President Trump to go to the Capitol. It was inevitable that some might break the law, trespass on government property and, perhaps, engage in violence.

It is a mistake, however, to cast blame on public officials who were exercising their constitutional rights to protest the election at rallies and on the floor of Congress. Both the First Amendment and the Constitution’s Speech and Debate Clause are crucial elements of our democracy. Their limits were tested on Wednesday by Trump’s speech to his supporters, and by those of Senator Ted Cruz and others.:snip:

@Geee

* Our country and our Constitution were subjected to several stress tests on Wednesday. They were ugly and dangerous. But our Constitution, with its system of checks and balances, passed these stress tests: **The debate went on in Congress; the resolutions questioning the election failed.

* It Did? Hope so, but We'll See.

[** It did? The Debate (as I understand it) was short circuited, and the Vote was taken in the dead of night. Score 1 for The Left/The Swamp.

Also if anyone thinks This Is Over, contact me Quickly. I've got a bridge in NYC I can let you have cheap.