I Now Better Understand the 'Good German'

Valin

i-now-better-understand-the-good-german-n2582563
Townhall

Dennis Prager

Jan 05, 2021

As my listeners and readers can hopefully attest, I have been on a lifelong quest to understand human nature and human behavior. I am sad to report that I have learned more in the last few years, particularly in 2020, than in any equivalent period of time.

One of the biggest revelations concerns a question that has always plagued me: How does one explain the "good German," the term used to describe the average, presumably decent German, who did nothing to hurt Jews but also did nothing to help them and did nothing to undermine the Nazi regime? The same question could be asked about the average Frenchman during the Vichy era, the average Russian under Lenin, Joseph Stalin, Leonid Brezhnev and their successors, and the millions of others who did nothing to help their fellow citizens under oppressive dictatorships.

These past few years have taught me not to so quickly judge the quiet German, Russian, etc. Of course, I still judge Germans who helped the Nazis and Germans who in any way hurt Jews. But the Germans who did nothing? Not so fast.

What has changed my thinking has been watching what is happening in America (and Canada and Australia and elsewhere, for that matter).

The ease with which tens of millions of Americans have accepted irrational, unconstitutional and unprecedented police state-type restrictions on their freedoms, including even the freedom to make a living, has been, to understate the case, sobering.

(Snip)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Geee said:

I see it, but I don't know if I will ever 'better understand' it.

You and me both! Talking to people both online and in real life, its like talking to a wall. Even people who Know this (masks/lock downs) are insane...don't work, still go around wearing this silly masks. Walked into my local hardware store the other day. The owner comes Running up Shouting "You Have To Have A Mask...You Have To Wear a Mask!"

:angry: