A Rare Event

Draggingtree

a-rare-event
Ricochet

A Rare Event

By John Hanson October 27, 2020 (2 Hours Ago) 

This is a truly rare event. I realized last night watching the swearing-in of our new supreme court justice, that this was the first time in my 72-year life that the Supreme Court had a recognizable conservative majority. Not the sometimes, maybe we will follow the constitution if the moon is blue type of the last several years, where O’Connor, then Kennedy, then Roberts voted conservative if it really didn’t matter in an existential manner that they were, but failed on some big cases.

I have hope the nominal 6-3 majority may actually follow the constitution most of the time, if one or more justices don’t “grow” in office, or the Dems don’t with both the Presidency and Senate and pack the court. For a conservative, the last time this might have been the case was prior to 1936 when Roosevelt started winning court decisions. :snip: 

10/26/2020

Filed under: General — JVW @ 5:05 pm
Comments (90)

[guest post by JVW]

I’m watching live on CSPAN-2. Judge (now Justice) Barrett has 52 yes votes versus 43 no votes. Instead of voting audibly when called upon, Democrat Senators appear to be making a show of walking down to the Senate well in order to literally cast a thumbs-down vote. But she has passed the 51 vote threshold and the confirmation is now done.

Congratulations to President Trump for nominating a fine jurist and impressive woman. Congratulations to his team and to the folks at the Federalist Society for bringing her to his fleeting attention. Congratulations to Cocaine Mitch McConnell and Senator Lindsey Graham for their resolve in seeing her through, and for uniting Republicans with the exception of Susan Collins in support of her. :snip: