Ketchup: A History

Valin

BigRedHEINZKetchupCake                                                                                                                                               193998_640x428.jpg

On 1/23/2020 at 1:47 PM, Geee said:

@Valin

Interesting. Also explains why they spell it ketchup and I spell it catsup ;)

And its happening today. Example: They are Going too do something is becoming They're gonna do something.

@Valin Mr G and I watch quite a few mystery series from England, Scotland, Ireland and Australia. We not only get a kick out of the different pronunciations, but the different definition of words is amusing to us also. There are so many, but the few that come immediately too mind are: cooker: stove - nicked: arrested - biscuit: cookie.  Biscuit brought to mind differences in spelling also, I believe they spell it bisquit.

12 minutes ago, Geee said:

@Valin Mr G and I watch quite a few mystery series from England, Scotland, Ireland and Australia. We not only get a kick out of the different pronunciations, but the different definition of words is amusing to us also. There are so many, but the few that come immediately too mind are: cooker: stove - nicked: arrested - biscuit: cookie.  Biscuit brought to mind differences in spelling also, I believe they spell it bisquit.

Napkin? :D

No British person uses the word “tissue” to mean “napkin”. They are completely different items.

A tissue is a paper handkerchief that is used to blow your nose. Tissue paper is used to wrap delicate things. It can also be used as a description for something flimsy, e.g. “his evidence was nothing but a tissue of lies”.

A napkin is a piece of cloth designed to keep your clothes clean when you are eating food, or alternatively, a piece of cloth that you put on a baby’s bum before the baby is toilet trained. In this instance it’s usually shortened to “nappy”.