A Primer on Various Views About Origins

Valin

A Primer on Various Views About Origins

Dr Michael G Strauss

May 11 2019

Chart.png

The Bible is very clear about the fact that God created the universe and that humans were created by God in his image, a distinction that separates humans from all the other animals. On the other hand, the Bible is not clear on when and how God created the universe and humans. Consequently, even among Christians who believe the Bible is the inspired and inerrant word of God there is a difference of opinion about the methods God used to create the universe.

Sometimes it is valuable to review the very basic ideas about a topic. One of my readers asked me if I could very simply describe each of the major views held by Christians about how and when God created the universe and humans. I am answering that question with this basic primer about views on origins held by Christians and non-Christians. These can be broadly classified into four categories by answering three questions: (1) Did God create the universe and humans? (2) Did the big bang occur? and (3) Does macroscopic evolution occur?

(Snip)

Christians hold diverse views on how and when God created the universe and humans, and at times that diversity leads to unkind and untrue words that are spoken about others. In doing so, Christians are elevating the issue of creation above a much more important issue of faith. As quoted in John 13:35, Jesus made it very clear that the mark of a Christian is not that we all believe the same thing regarding the how and when of creation, but rather by our love for each other: "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." As we discuss these different views, let us do it in a way that is so loving, gentile, and kind, that others stand in astonishment to see that different beliefs and radical love are not mutually exclusive.