RECIPE: LOW-CARB ALMOND FLOUR BREAD

Draggingtree

8/31/2018

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 1:36 pm

I’ve been cooking more lately. What with the desire to avoid carbs, I looked for a way to make low-carb bread. The first time I tried was unsuccessful. The loaf was crumbly if somewhat tasty. It did not perform like regular bread at all.

The following recipe is something I’m making right now, for about the fourth time — and it has been a delight every time. I’ll warn you: it does not rise and become fluffy like a yeasty bread. It much more resembles banana bread in thickness and texture: somewhat squat and a bit moist inside. But it slices like bread. You can toast it (although be careful as the crust can get very hot and can burn). My favorite thing to do, other than eat it by itself, is to use it for almond butter or peanut butter sandwiches (using all natural nut butters with no salt).

Warning: because it’s basically a giant soft almond, this is a very calorific bread. I calculate a 3/4 inch slice as having fully 183 calories, with about 16 grams of fat and 3.3 grams of carbs (3 grams of which are dietary fiber, leaving you net carbs of only .3 grams). If you have an almond butter sandwich with two 3/4 inch slices, you’re looking at about 450 calories with about 40 grams of fat. But oh! the taste! So flavorful, with hints of vanilla. I try to make a loaf every week. I hope you like it.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 cups almond flour (I use Trader Joe’s Blanched Almond Flour)
  • 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (I use Trader Joe’s Vanilla Flavored Almond Beverage)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS   :snip:   http://patterico.com/2018/08/31/recipe-low-carb-almond-flour-bread/