Former DNI James Clapper On “Facts and Fears: Hard Truths From A Life In Intelligence”

Valin

former-dni-james-clapper-on-facts-and-fears-hard-truths-from-a-life-in-intelligence

Former DNI Director James Clapper joined me for a wide-ranging interview about his memoir “Facts and Fears: Hard Truths From A Life In Intelligence”:

Audio

Transcript:

HH: So pleased to welcome to the Hugh Hewitt Show now James Clapper, the fourth U.S. Director of National Intelligence. And you should know this. He began life as an enlisted Marine in the United States’ service, went on to become a three-star Air Force Lieutenant General and director of the Defense Intelligence Agency before his long service as DNI, and it’s an honor to have him. And we have a friend in common, James Clapper, in the name of Dan Poneman, with whom I was having a drink the other day. He said to say hello to you. He’s looking forward to the next vespers, and to be nice to you.

JC: Well, that’s great. Dan is great. He is a superb public servant and just a great person, and a great patriot, too, so thanks for that.

HH: Well, he is my college roommate. And so I’m on a short leash with you, because of shared friendship. Nevertheless, I want to begin by starting by thanking your wife, Sue. 50 years of your service, but that included for her 23 moves in 32 years, as you recount in Facts And Fears. It includes a harrowing illness, a coma and recovery. She’s an amazing person, James Clapper, but you knew that, but I’m glad you told everyone about it in Facts And Fears.

JC: Well, I’ll tell you, I really appreciate your bringing that up. Of all the interviews I’ve had in the last couple of weeks, you’re the only one ever to bring that up. And I really appreciate that, because it’s very appropriate. Whatever success I’ve had would never happen without her.

________________________________________________________________________________

Lot of stuff.

Oh my gosh.  His extended family must have written the reviews!  I know his wife, Sue.  Maybe I should read the book for her sake.

Clapper on the great unmasking

Scott Johnson

June 8 2018

Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper is a known liar. Former Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power is a known reprobate. Invoking the testimony of Clapper to question Power places us in a wilderness of mirrors, yet Hugh Hewitt rightly turned to Clapper for his take on the unresolved scandal of Samantha Power. Jay Latimer to the contrary notwithstanding, Hugh did not ignore it.

Interviewing Clapper about his new memoir yesterday, Hugh asked about Power’s sworn testimony that other Obama unnamed administration officials made numerous intelligence “unmasking” requests in her name. Clapper responded (my italics): “I don’t know quite how that would happen, you know, because the only way you can make an unmasking request is that you have authorized access to the report in question in the first place. So I don’t know how that, quite how that would work.”

(Snip)