Keith Ellison files for Minnesota attorney general bid; Ilhan Omar wants his House seat

Valin

ellison-1st-muslim-in-congress-running-for-minnesota-ag

Kyle Potter

June 5, 2018

Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress and a top official with the Democratic National Committee, filed to run for Minnesota attorney general Tuesday, and then State Rep. Ilhan Omar, the first Somali-American to be elected to a state Legislature, filed for Ellison’s seat.

Ellison’s decision set off a scramble by Democrats to run in a solidly liberal district. Sen. Patricia Torres Ray and former Minnesota House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher also filed to run in the August primary.

The filing deadline is 5 p.m. today.

A sixth-term lawmaker widely regarded as among the most liberal members of Congress, Ellison had been eyeing statewide office in Minnesota for months. He considered running for the Senate seat vacated by former Sen. Al Franken before backing Gov. Mark Dayton’s appointee, Sen. Tina Smith. And he weighed a run for attorney general until Lori Swanson, the current officeholder, decided to run for a fourth term this winter.

But Swanson changed course Monday, launching a late bid for Minnesota governor. Ellison and others pounced, filing for the office on Tuesday.

(Snip)

1 hour ago, clearvision said:

A far left Muslim as the enforcer (or not to) of laws... what could go wrong?

Absolutely...It'll be great. From defending cop killing gang bangers to AG

The case of Fozia Ali (2)

Scott Johnson

June 6 2018

In this series I follow up on Jeff Baillon’s intensely reported FOX 9 story “Millions of dollars fly out of MSP in suitcases, but why?” I gave my own twist to Baillon’s story in the City Journal column “Mogadishu, Minnesota” (my title: “Assimilation, Minnesota style”).

In part 1 I noted the media backlash to Baillon’s story at the Pioneer Press, at MPR, and, of course, at the Star Tribune. The media, however, have not followed up on Baillon’s findings regarding rampant daycare fraud. In this post I want to provide some relevant background while noting the findings that remain undisputed supplemented by my own reporting and research.

• Minnesota’s Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) is a joint state-federal program (50-50) administered by the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS). It pays benefits to daycare providers providing services to qualifying parents as explained in information that can be accessed on the DHS site here.

• The program is limited to the budget set by the legislature. There is a waiting list for parents seeking the program’s benefits. Any provider who steals from the program is stealing from needy applicants as well as from taxpayers.

(Snip)