GOOGLE LISTED “NAZISM” AS THE IDEOLOGY OF THE CALIFORNIA REPUBLICAN PARTY

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
google-is-listing-nazism-as-the-first-ideology-of-the-california-republican-party

Less than a week before the California primary, Google listed “Nazism” as the ideology of the California Republican Party.

In the “knowledge panel” that provides easy access to information next to search results, Google was showing “Nazism” as an “ideology” of the party as of Thursday morning. The word “Nazism” was hyperlinked to a secondary page that shows “Nazism” alongside other “ideologies” of California Republicans like “Conservatism,” "Market liberalism,” “Fiscal conservatism,” and “Green conservatism."

California voters have been casting their absentee ballots for weeks ahead of Tuesday’s statewide primary elections, which will help determine the majority in the House of Representative and the potential next governor of the world’s fifth-largest economy.

But voters looking for information by searching “California Republicans” or “California Republican Party” were getting “Nazism” next to their search results until Google took the listing down later Thursday after a query from VICE News.

________

So can we call Google a bunch of Communists now?

McCarthy Doesn’t Buy Google Excuse for ‘Naziism’ Coming Up in Search for California Republican Party

David Rutz
June 2, 2018

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R., Calif.) said Saturday he didn't believe Google's excuse for why "Naziism" showed up on a search to describe the California Republican Party's ideology.

Less than a week before the California primary, a Google search for "California Republican Party" showed "Naziism" as one of its ideologies in the "knowledge panel." The panel shows up to give searchers quick facts for certain people, places and groups. Google took down the listing after Vice, which first reported the news, inquired about it.

"This was disgusting," McCarthy told MSNBC host Hugh Hewitt.

(Snip)

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy on MSNBC w/Hugh

Duane Patterson

May 2 2018

Audio

(Snip)

HH: Let’s begin, if we can, Kevin McCarthy, with a story that was in your Twitter feed on Thursday from Vice.com. In California, Google has decided that the search term California GOP brings up Nazi ideology. What’s your reaction to this?

KM: Well, this is disgusting. So if anybody went and searched it through Google, which is the biggest search engine, 90% of everything on the internet that’s searched goes through Google, the ideology didn’t say the party of Lincoln or the party of Reagan. It said our ideology was Nazism. They said they pulled that from Wikipedia. The tough part is I was, talked about this beforehand, and I looked at Wikipedia, and it didn’t say Nazism on there. So this is a real concern that the bias has to stop, because if you just went a couple of days before to Instagram, and you searched Donald Trump, Jr., it gave you a warning that this site could be harmful and could actually cause death. So that was a real concern of what’s going on. And what happened at Amazon, kicking out the Alliance Defending Freedom, that you couldn’t give the charity money through there anymore even though these people defend religious freedom before the Supreme Court, and that Amazon smile, those customer can’t pick that charity anymore to give money to.

HH: Yeah, Alliance Defending Freedom, old friends of mine. I’ve often spoken at their groups, and they’re right. They’ve been kicked off Amazon Smile. That’s wrong. So Leader McCarthy, we’ve talked about this before on this show. What do you do about this? Rather than, I think you’ve said that this has got to be a source of alarm, there’s got to be accountability, okay, if you’re the speaker of the House, what will you do about it?

KM: I think individuals need to come in. There needs to be transparencies, because we have to have a clear understanding. We have a 1st Amendments and others. People are controlling, if they’re controlling the feed of what people are seeing, that is fundamentally wrong. We have found, having Facebook come before Congress, that there is a problem there that the users, are they truly knowing what’s happening with their information and others? I think this is an area that Congress needs to look at throughout.

HH: Now are hearings enough? Because obviously, you did have Mr. Zuckerberg come in, but in Europe, the European Union is going much further into intrusive regulation. We’ve talked about new agencies before. I don’t want to see the antitrust division do this, but do you actually support some kind of regulatory scheme for Silicon Valley and big tech?

KM: Before I take the next action, I want to make sure I have all the information. The one thing I know is this bias has got to stop. If this continues along the way, that’s why I want to see more transparency. Let’s get all the facts and let’s put a clear aim of the direction that we think is right for the American public.

(Snip)