Jalapeño Cornbread with Sorghum Butter

Draggingtree

Jalapeño Cornbread with Sorghum Butter
I took a cooking class many years ago from an East Texas chef named Lamoreaux who made an irresistible cakey cornbread that became the model for this. I use Lamb’s Gristmill’s stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal from the family’s mill in Converse, a stone’s throw from San Antonio. If time permits, I like the extra touch of molasses-like sorghum butter, made from a traditional Texas grain crop. It’s good on pancakes and biscuits too.

Cooking Time: 2¼ to 2½ hours on high. Serves 6 or more

Cornbread

·         ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus some for greasing cooker

·         1 cup plus 2 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal

·         2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

·         2 teaspoons baking powder

·         1 teaspoon table salt

·         ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus some for greasing pan

·         ¼ cup packed brown sugar

·         3 large eggs

·         ½ cup buttermilk

·         1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen

·         2 to 3 fresh jalapeños, minced

·         6 ounces mild or medium cheddar, grated (about 1½ cups)

Pour ½ inch of water into the slow cooker. Put a 3-inch biscuit cutter in the middle of the cooker, if you have it, to serve as a rack. (You can also improvise a rack by pulling out 18 inches of aluminum foil, rolling it into a snake, and coiling it to fit in the bottom of the cooker.) The water should be below the top of the rack.  :snip:   https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/texas-slow-cooker/