Where the Confederacy Is Rising Again

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Where the Confederacy Is Rising Again

In east Texas, a group of true believers is helping build the largest Confederate monument in a century. Is the state itself helping keep the memory alive?

By John Savage

August 10, 2016

In July 2015, with national controversy over displays of the Confederate flag at a ferocious peak, five Texas Democratic lawmakers sent a letter to the state's top elected officials arguing that some of the dozen Confederate memorials at the Texas state Capitol "espouse a whitewashed version of history.” The letter came a month after a 19-year-old white supremacist murdered nine black churchgoers in Charleston, South Carolina, a hate crime that jump-started a national conversation about the meaning of Confederate symbols.

The letter was sent to Governor Greg Abbott, Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick and House Speaker Joe Straus. Only Straus responded. In November, he ordered a House committee to review the "historical intent and significance" of the monuments and make recommendations to the State Preservation Board. When the review finally takes place, likely in the few months right before the November elections, Texas lawmakers will find themselves in a tough spot:Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/08/texas-confederacy-rising-again-214159

Draggingtree

@Draggingtree - I read this article yesterday. Ticked me off a bit.

Well it shouldn't.

Houston I.S.D. voted last night to spend well over a million dollars to rename some schools, that my dear is a total waste of moneys. Even with a class action suit to stop the waste of moneys.

Well it shouldn't.

Houston I.S.D. voted last night to spend well over a million dollars to rename some schools, that my dear is a total waste of moneys. Even with a class action suit to stop the waste of moneys.

The part that ticked me off is the writers interpretation of history and the reasons for the Civil War.

Draggingtree

Well it shouldn't.

The part that ticked me off is the writers interpretation of history and the reasons for the Civil War.

Oh see I was out in left field think well another thing sorry wub.png

• Like 1

Draggingtree

Friday, August 12, 2016

Insane: Schoolboard to erase traces of Confederate ties including Henry Grady & Sidney Lanier!
Via sauced07

The Houston Independent School District board of trustees voted Thursday evening to approve spending nearly $1.25 million taxpayer dollars to rename eight schools with politically correct monikers that erase all traces of their historical Confederate ties. The board approved $1,245,197 of taxpayer funding to re-brand eight campuses and related items, which is less than the $2 million originally estimated by the school board last year. Those funds will cover, in part, athletic and band uniforms, plus temporary banners for those schools under reconstruction, the Houston Chronicle reported, noting the lower price tag a partial victory for community members who, in June, filed a lawsuit against the school board.

The lawsuit argues the school board’s action is illegal. The plaintiffs also seek to protect the schools as monuments under state law. According to the the Chronicle, Goforth law firm attorneys representing the plaintiffs indicated Houston ISD needs to obtain clearances from agencies which oversee historical preservation before they can change the school names. The district denies the claim.

More @ Breitbart

Draggingtree

Debunking the Debunking: Gary Ross and His “Myths of the Civil War.”

By Ryan Walters on

Aug 8, 2016

In a recent Huffington Post video, director-turned-historian Gary Ross, of the film “Free State of Jones,” debunks what he calls “4 myths of the civil war era.” And since I’ve shown a propensity to answer Mr. Ross in kind, I am quite likely the best candidate to tackle his latest re-writing of history.

Myth #1: “The Civil War was NOT about slavery.”

To this Ross states that the war “was absolutely about slavery.” Absolutely? To quote Obi Wan Kenobi, “Only a Sith deals in absolutes.” For me, at least, the conflict between North and South was much more complex and far too complicated to lay the blame on the placemat of one issue.

Ross’s evidence for his conclusion is the same old stuff we’ve heard for decades: The state declarations, like Mississippi’s, that say secession was all about slavery; and most notably the election of Abraham Lincoln, who Ross calls an “anti-slavery” candidate, cited as the immediate reason the South left the Union. So therefore it was all about a threat to the institution of slavery. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/review/debunking-the-debunking-gary-ross-and-his-myths-of-the-civil-war/

• Like 1

Draggingtree
10 Texas School Names Honoring Confederates Have Changed. At Least 24 Haven't.

by Isabelle Taft / Aug. 14, 2016 / 1Comment

Oliver Hill, 81, grew up in segregated San Antonio. He graduated in 1952 from the all-black Phillis Wheatley High School, named for the famous poet who was brought to America as a slave. When Robert E. Lee High School opened across town in 1958 honoring the Confederate general, Hill viewed the name as adeliberate reminder to black San Antonians that the city did not belong to them.

So last year, when the North East ISD board of trustees considered changing the name of Robert E. Lee High School, it seemed to Hill like an opportunity to right an old injustice. He delivered a speech at the board's August meeting urging the change. In December, after months of public comments and debate, the board voted 5-2 to keep the school’s name the same. Scissors-32x32.png

Adrienne Murry, a Bob Lanier Middle School (formerly Sidney Lanier Middle School) parent who is a plaintiff in the lawsuit against HISD, said the board disregarded the wishes of students, parents and alumni who wanted to keep the school names the same Scissors-32x32.png

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08/14/school-year-begins-communities-take-stock-confeder/

• 4 weeks later...
Truth in the Pit of Political Correctness
By Ben Thompson onAug 16, 2016

Last week’s vote (June 2016) to repudiate the Battle Flag by the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) caught me by surprise and left me in shock. I have long considered our denomination to be socially conservative, prudent, and wise to stay out of issues that do not directly impact the mission of our church. I am a deacon but more importantly on this topic, I am a student of history and the Bible. While I do have ancestors who defended against the invasion of 1861, that does not make me uniquely qualified to make statements based on emotion to defend or excoriate these veterans and their symbols. I understand fully what they fought for and it certainly was not what some in our leadership have shamefully claimed. Truth and hard facts are the best way to approach difficult issues. We must get this right as a church. Lincoln’s War of 1861 cost our country the lives of 625,000 soldiers and the lives of 50,000 Southern civilians (black and white). It changed the federal government forever from one that was limited, to one that controls every aspect of our lives, deeply divided this country upon racial lines, and set slaves free only to re-enslave them to another master. The topic of the Confederate Battle Flag, history of the SBC, history of the flag itself, race, and the true topics of importance are too complex to tackle with ad hominem arguments, rhetoric and straw men. No, we need truth to tackle such issues and to admit this argument is based in political correctness. The truth and only the truth will heal wounds that keep being picked by those who profit from race and division. Scissors-32x32.png