Walker: Talking About the Fourteenth Amendment is a Distraction

Valin

walker-talking-about-fourteenth-amendment-distraction-jim-geraghtyNational Review/The Corner:

Jim Geraghty — August 30, 2015

Appearing on “Meet the Press” this morning, Wisconsin Scott Walker suggested the debate about birthright citizenship, “anchor babies,” and the the Fourteenth Amendment amount to distractions from securing the border and enforcing existing immigration laws.

“I said whether it’s talking about the Fourteenth Amendment or anything else, until we secure the borders and enforce the law, we shouldn’t be talking about any other issue out there and politicians that do are trying to distract from the fact that for years in this town, in Washington, D.C., politicians have made promises about securing the border and enforcing the laws they haven’t been able to fulfill,” Walker said.

Walker insisted his positions on dealing with illegal immigration have been clear and consistent: “What I had pointed out repeatedly since the beginning of this year–this is not new, people have heard me, some of the folks from NBC who have covered me have heard me say this a thousand times. Secure the border, enforce the laws, no amnesty, go forward in a way that provides for a legal immigration system that puts a priority in American working families and their wages in a way that will improve the American economy.”

Forward to 2:23

Whole thing is good

(Snip)

Then, several days later in an interview with CNBC’s John Harwood, Walker said, “I’m not taking a position on it one way or the other,” adding that it’s only appropriate to address the issue of birthright citizenship after securing the borders.