Coffee Shop

Rheo

UNDER THE ICE WITH MALCOLM

http://www.pickeringpost.com/story/under-the-ice-with-malcolm/5340

12002924_923211297733029_514273115530424

Look, I’m no physicist and I’m no climatologist, in fact I left school at 13 because I wanted to learn stuff, but I certainly feel more qualified than Malcolm Turnbull and his lefty mates Tim Flannery and Ross Garnaut to tell you about how melting ice would affect sea levels, because it’s not exactly what they say and it’s not exactly rocket science either.

Now, my life has been one of inventing things, building things and growing things. Mr Turnbull’s has been a life of making money from money. So I reckon, productivity wise, I’m a little bit in front of Mr Turnbull.

So I’ll try to explain the physics of ice for Mr Turnbull. No, not the stuff you smoke, the fresh water that get hard when it gets really cold:

You see, the globe is not getting warmer (if only it was, food production would not be a problem). Despite what Mr Turnbull’s friends in the UN say, ice is actually increasing at both poles and has been for years, especially in the South.

At the Northern cap, where valuable CO2 is at its most productive as it is surrounded by industrialised nations, record cold temperatures have paralysed North America and Europe for the past five years.

But let’s not shoot Mr Turnbull and his mates down straight away... let’s play with them for a while, much like a cat plays with mice.

Okay, the Northern cap is a floating ice sheet where most ice volumes are below the surface, we see only the tips. Okay, Mr Turnbull, I’ll type slowly for you... shouldn’t that tell you the displacement factor already exists?

Obviously not! And honestly, I can’t type any slower.

The above pic isn’t photo-shopped Mr Turnbull and it’s similar to all fresh water ice that floats in salt water. And the volume of salt water on the globe is well beyond your and my comprehension when it’s compared to a paltry amount of ice

Are you still with me here, Mr Turnbull?

Okay, now water comes in only three forms, vapour, solid and liquid, and in this case it’s solid. (Oh, and by the way, water is a 100 per cent renewable resource, it always returns in one of those three forms.) Yep, your wee today is the water in Mr Flannery’s scotch tomorrow. Better not tell him that tho’.

Now I know this might be hard to get your head around, Mr Turnbull, but when ice melts it decreases in volume and when water freezes it increases in volume.

It expands by around nine per cent. A bit over that actually, but don’t take my word for it, I left school at 13, so stick a bottle of water in the freezer overnight and I'll wait here while you have a sleep.

Still not convinced? Well, how are you at arithmetic then Mr Turnbull?

Let’s take some northern cap ice which is up to 90 per cent under the water, so that leaves 10 per cent above the water which, when it melts, will decrease in volume but will add only a miniscule amount to its initial volume when absorbed by sea water.

Ahhhh, but hang on a minute, when 90 per cent of that ice (the part that is under water) melts, it decreases in volume by around 10 percent compared to what it was when frozen.

Just because most polar ice is under the water, it doesn’t mean it isn’t there, Mr Turnbull... just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

You see, sea water freezes at a much lower temperature and is far denser than fresh water, and it creates some complicated equations, so we’ll ignore that until after you have digested the simple stuff.

So, given that a displacement factor already exists under water and 90 per cent of that displacement decreases in volume by around 10 per cent when it melts... tell me, what do you reckon will happen when, or if, polar caps melt?

Yes, yes, Mr Turnbull, if those polar caps decide to melt (and they won’t inside the next ten thousand or so years, and even then not entirely) it will...... Scissors-32x32.png

ThePickeringPost via iOTWReports

@Draggingtree

Okay, now water comes in only three forms, vapour, solid and liquid, and in this case it’s solid. (Oh, and by the way, water is a 100 per cent renewable resource, it always returns in one of those three forms.) Yep, your wee today is the water in Mr Flannery’s scotch tomorrow. Better not tell him that tho’.

I feel much better. What happens if he drinks his scotch neat?

At a luncheon hosted at a posh Orange County golf club by a local political action committee, Kasich heap praise upon Latinos -- a crucial voting bloc, with 28 million expected to be eligible to vote in the 2016 election -- for family values and work ethic, but then appeared to indirectly conflate Latinos and service-industry workers.

"A lot of them do jobs that they're willing to do and, uh, that's why in the hotel you leave a little tip," said Kasich before a small group inside the Shady Canyon Golf Club, nestled in a gated Irvine neighborhood.

---------

That will bring in the Latino vote....

righteousmomma

Clearvision, I was a little surprised to hear Dr. Krauthammer say in his analysis of the candidates that Kasich was a "bleeding heart liberal" on the debate podium.

• Like 1

This is so cool. A friend sent it to me and so I know nothing about the person or group but the video is worth watching to the end.

http://hawthornephoto.com/walk.htm

One might almost think that a certain President of the United States is not really interested in uniting this country..but of course that would be racist...so I won't Say That.

My Man Newt! laugh.png

Rediscovering God in America

Take a walk through our Nation’s Capital with Newt and Callista Gingrich. From the National Archives to Arlington National Cemetery, this New York Times best seller illustrates the importance of our Creator to our nation’s founders and their successors. Featuring the photography of Callista Gingrich, this photographic edition reminds us that America is indeed “One Nation Under God.”

For an interactive map featuring the Rediscovering God in America walking tour, click here.

• Like 1

World Begs U.S. To Use Military Force in Syria So They Can Bitch About It Later

http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/09/world-begs-us-military-force-syria-bitch-later/?utm_source=DuffelBlog.com+fans&utm_campaign=4bbda34f85-Duffel_Blog_Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6d392bc034-4bbda34f85-23788925&goal=0_6d392bc034-4bbda34f85-23788925&mc_cid=4bbda34f85&mc_eid=67373a0254

Dirk Diggler September 18, 2015 News, The Pentagon

NEW YORK — World leaders met at the United Nations today to beg the United States to use military force to stem the ever-growing humanitarian disaster in Syria, knowing full well they will then turn around and blame the US shortly thereafter.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon said, “We call upon the world’s greatest nation — the United States — to help bring peace to this terrible civil war, because, f%@# it, none of us want to.”

“And the best part is, when this whole thing goes to hell in a handbasket — which, quite frankly, happens almost every time you intervene in a multi-sided civil war in a God-forsaken third-world country — none of us are responsible for it!” Ki-Moon added.

The “Blame America First” policy is a time-honored tradition in international relations, dating back to the outrage over the US Air Force’s targeted bombing campaign against the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, followed by consternation over America’s idleness while the same Khmer Rouge murdered millions of their own countrymen.

“It’s pretty shameful, but hey, it got me a Pulitzer prize,” said Sydney Schanberg, whose two-faced coverage of the war in Cambodia in the New York Times inspired the Oscar-winning film, The Killing Fields.

“Amateurs tend to blame America first and then they’re done with it,” said anti-war MIT Professor Noam Chomsky.

“Just this past week, Vox’s Amanda Taub blamed the U.S. for the entire Syrian Civil War instead of blaming, well, the Syrians themselves.

“But that’s the type of ‘Blame America First’ coverage that gets you a few thousand clicks at best,” Chomsky continued.

“If you really want Oscars, Pulitzers, and charity donations, you have to sucker the US into intervening, then blame America!”

DuffelBlog via MyEmail

The Week in Pictures: Fiorina Trumps Edition

Steven Hayward

September 19, 2015

I’m back from a week in Washington and New York (and boy are my arms tired!), with a lot to catch up on. I think the world changed this week. I think we may have seen the emergence of our first woman president. I’ll have more to say about that separately, and also how Trump—if he’s for real—ought to respond to the media/Democrat-driven ruckus about not “standing up” to the questioner about Obama’s supposed Muslim faith. Will he take the opening? I doubt it. Meanwhile, Hillary is shrinking so fast she might fit in a skirt again some time soon.

(Snip)

Carly-Eowyn-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=580

(Snip)

Future-GOP-Debates-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&res

(Snip)

Forrest-Trump-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=4

(Snip)

Funnier-Hillary-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize

Hillary-Accomplishments-copy.jpg?zoom=1.

(Snip)

Biden-Alarm-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=580

Gaffepalooza-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=58

(Snip)

Selective-Laws-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=

Tremendous-Intelligance-copy.jpg?zoom=1.

(Snip)

Refugees-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=580%2C

Govt-Shutdown-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=5

A blast from the past. . .

Do-Nothing-Congress-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&re

(Snip)

Carry-Permits-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=5

(Snip)

Found-Prius-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=580

Football-season-copy1.jpg?zoom=1.5&resiz

(Snip)

Pumpkin-Beer-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=58

(Snip)

Obi-Wan-Cannoli-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize

(Snip)

Bear-Proof-after-all-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&r

Settled science, after all.

(Snip)

And finally. . .

Hot-506-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=446%2C6

Apparently there is someone in this photo. They are camouflaged so you may have trouble seeing them.

• Like 1

A person can keep the TV off except for the few things they want to watch. I admire the way you have figured out how to see what you want without having a TV. I'm not clever enough.

We are (IMO rightly) told we need to pay more attention to The Culture...but to be perfectly honest I no longer have the time..patience to put up with all the crap out there. If my choice is Mozart...Charlie Parker...The Lovin Spoonful & whoever is at the top of the charts today, watch reruns of Alfred Hickok, and whatever in hot on TV today...This is what is known as a No Brainer. The instrument has yet been build that can measure my lack of interest in who is at the top of the NY Time Best Seller list.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Paul of Tarsus...Dead Jew

This pretty much eliminates most of modern culture

/rant #771,830

• Like 1

For @Valin:

Whittle on "The Donald"

Via iOTWReports

I saw it the other day. My question remains...And People Expect DT to actually do something?

"Talk Is Cheap"

Mitch Berg On his Radio show this PM.

Interesting...if true.

Maria Antonova@mashant

Base with Rus soldiers who don't want to go to Syria reportedly on lockdown, they are threatened with treason charge http://www.gazeta.ru/politics/2015/09/19_a_7765883.shtml …

proxy.jpg?t=HBhOaHR0cDovL2ltZy5nYXpldGEu

8:49 AM - 19 Sep 2015

From your link....

говорит Павлов «Газете.Ru». — Более того, вместо защиты их прав к делу подключились военные особисты и ФСБ. Пошла проверка, допросы и угрозы военнослужащим вплоть до уголовного преследования. Статьи не называются, но из разговора следует, что им грозит наказание вплоть до государственной измены».

I think it is being misinterpreted... they won't go unless they can bring their vodka is how I read it....

• Like 1

For @Valin:

Whittle on "The Donald"

Via iOTWReports

I saw it the other day. My question remains...And People Expect DT to actually do something?

"Talk Is Cheap"

Mitch Berg On his Radio show this PM.

People just like that he talks "truth-to-cowards." He can't be bought & he says exactly what he wants to say....PC crap be danged. It's an exercise in Liberty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWG2CaIKJ2A&feature=player_embedded

Via iOTWReports