'Bravest woman,' free speech activist Sabeen Mahmud killed in Pakistan

Valin

pakistan-free-speech-activist-sabeen-mahmud-killedCNN:

Sophia Saifi and Ben Brumfield, CNN

Sat April 25, 2015

150425015712-pakistan-free-speech-activi

She loved a good book, Jimi Hendrix and political discussions. Activist Sabeen Mahmud was gunned down in Pakistan.

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN)Her second floor cafe on a dusty industrial road was painted with dashes of psychedelic colors. And Sabeen Mahmud surrounded herself there with books, people, and discussions on technology, human rights and women's entrepreneurship.

Introducing others to Jimi Hendrix, street art, and talking politics was not supposed to get her killed. But in Pakistan, free speech is dangerous, and Mahmud's exuberant exercise of it made her stick out nationwide.

Two gunman shot her dead at point-blank range late Friday after she locked up The Second Floor cafe in Karachi for the night, police said. Mahmud died from five bullet wounds.

The gunmen also shot her mother. She is in a hospital but is expected to be released on time for her daughter's funeral.

(Snip)

H/T Daveed Gartenstein-Ross

@Valin Such a shame. I believe she is featured for about 5 seconds in a commercial as an example of amazing things that one person can accomplish, I just don't remember what the commercial is for.

@Valin Such a shame. I believe she is featured for about 5 seconds in a commercial as an example of amazing things that one person can accomplish, I just don't remember what the commercial is for.

The thing is there are 10's of thousands of people like this throughout the "Islamic World", who put their lives in danger, and they don't really get any PR/support.

wallbash.gif