Execution Watch 04/15/2015

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Offender Information garzamanuel2.jpg Name Garza, Jr., Manuel TDCJ Number 999434 Date of Birth 08/08/1980 Date Received 11/08/2002 Age (when Received) 22 Education Level (Highest Grade Completed) 10 Date of Offense 02/02/2001 Age (at the time of Offense) 20 County Bexar Race Hispanic Gender Male Hair Color Black Height 5 ft 10 in Weight 157 Eye Color Brown Native County Bexar Native State Texas

Draggingtree

Manuel Garza Jr.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Execution

ew_.jpgConvicted in the 2001 slaying of a San Antonio police officer after a foot chase in which the men struggled and Garza grabbed the officer's gun, then shot him, according to court documents. His trial attorneys said he acted in self defense. Scissors-32x32.png

Draggingtree

Cop killer: 'I made my peace with God'

Manuel Garza to be executed Wednesday for slaying of SAPD SWAT officer in 2001

POSTED TODAY, 1:15 PM

UPDATED TODAY, 1:15 PM

By Paul Venema

Reporter

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - San Antonio police officer John Anthony “Rocky” Riojas was shot and killed in February 2001 while trying to arrest Manuel Garza, 20, following a foot chase. Riojas had approached Garza and asked for identification and Garza ran.

“I ran, that’s where I messed up,” Garza said during an interview from Death Row with KSAT 12 News reporter Paul Venema just two weeks before Garza's scheduled execution. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/news/2015/04/15/cop-killer---i-made-my-peace-with-god-.html#

Draggingtree

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — A San Antonio man who fatally shot a SWAT team member with the officer's own gun more than 14 years ago was executed Wednesday, the sixth convicted murderer put to death in Texas so far this year.

Manuel Garza Jr. received a lethal injection of pentobarbital for killing San Antonio Police Officer John "Rocky" Riojas in February 2001. The U.S. Supreme Court had refused in November to review his case, and no last-day appeals were filed before his execution.

Asked to make a final statement, Garza said he was sorry for causing pain to his family, friends and "especially police officers."