Coats retirement in Indiana shakes up 2016 battle for Senate

Geee

236747-sen-coats-wont-run-for-reelectionThe Hill:

Sen. Dan Coats (R-Ind.) on Tuesday announced that he will not run for reelection in 2016.

"Today I am announcing that I will not seek re-election to the United States Senate," Coats said in a statement. "This was not an easy decision. While I believe I am well-positioned to run a successful campaign for another six-year term, I have concluded that the time has come to pass this demanding job to the next generation of leaders."

Coats's decision to retire may set off a Republican scramble for the open seat. While the GOP would seem to have the early edge, it is now another state they must defend in a presidential year where they're almost entirely playing defense to protect their new Senate majority.

Potential Republican candidates include Reps. Todd Young and Susan Brooks, both of whom have long been viewed as having statewide ambitions, as well as Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard and Reps. Todd Rokita, Jackie Walorski and Marlin Stutzman.

An aide to Rep. Luke Messer told The Hill he wouldn't seek the Senate seat.

Coats's chief of staff, Eric Holcomb, is also taking a look at the race and is seen as a top candidate by by Indiana observers. He is close to kingmaker and former Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels ®, has been traveling the state extensively building connections with the GOP grassroots.Scissors-32x32.png

Cyber_Liberty

I'm sure the liberal media is going to portray this as a tough slog in order to drain as much money away from other elections as much as possible, but is it?

• Like 1