Boehner Pays Back the Base

Valin

boehner-pays-back-base-joel-gehrkeNational Review:

Conservatives who supported cromnibus and returned Boehner the gavel now take the House lead against Obama's amnesty.

Joel Gehrke

Jan. 9 2014

When House Speaker John Boehner needed the votes to pass the $1.1 trillion “cromnibus” in the final hours before the government ran out of money, he turned to an unlikely ally: Representative Lou Barletta (R., Penn.), an immigration hawk who opposed the bill because it did not do anything meaningful to thwart President Obama’s executive amnesty. Now, Barletta and his allies in the right flank of the GOP are about to get something in return: a tough response to President Obama’s executive amnesty, set to be introduced on the House floor on Friday.

Boehner needed Barletta because the twelve Republicans in Pennsylvania’s congressional delegation had agreed to follow Barletta’s lead and his vote. To win their votes, Boehner promised Barletta that, come January, the Keystone Stater would play a leading role in writing the House’s response to Obama’s immigration orders.

“It was a crossroads moment for me,” Barletta tells National Review Online. “There could not have been a tougher vote for someone like me to take than the one I took in December to vote for the cromnibus without the opportunity to defund the president’s action.”

The bargain is only one example of the dynamic described by multiple Republican lawmakers that has played out as House Republicans plot their response to the executive amnesty: Far from marginalizing the conservative wing of the conference, the fights have left both Republican rebels and GOP leadership with an urgent need to counter Obama’s immigration orders in a manner that will mollify frustrated activists.

(Snip)

Cyber_Liberty

Sounds like a bunch of happy talk to me....

Well see

You and me both. I'm at that stage for both Boehner and McConnell. "Hope for the best while expecting the worse."

Well see

You and me both. I'm at that stage for both Boehner and McConnell. "Hope for the best while expecting the worse."

I believe its called Politics.

• Like 1

Cyber_Liberty

Well see

I believe its called Politics.

10-4.

Cyber_Liberty

Why should they start understanding now? Some folks take this stuff too personally, it's how things get shot up. Me, I found it too draining. There's more to life than that.

Should be "Just Politics."

Why should they start understanding now? Some folks take this stuff too personally, it's how things get shot up. Me, I found it too draining. There's more to life than that.

Should be "Just Politics."

Well Said!!!