Searching for Jeb Bush supporters in the belly of the “establishment” beast

Valin

searching-for-jeb-bush-supporters-in-the-belly-of-the-establishment.phpPower Line:

Paul Mirengoff

January 7, 2015

I’m beginning to feel like Pauline Kael. The late film critic and denizen of upscale Manhattan is alleged to have expressed wonderment at Richard Nixon’s re-election, since no one she knew had voted for him.

The early part of this week marked the festive season for the Republican political class here in Washington, DC. Receptions, such as the one for Tom Cotton, were held all over Capitol Hill. A good time was had by all.

Most conversations turned at some point to the 2016 presidential election. In the conversations I participated in, no one expressed enthusiasm for Jeb Bush. The typical comment was something along the lines of “I used to like him.”

Could it be that, contrary to conventional wisdom, Jeb Bush is not a preferred candidate of the Republican establishment? The answer depends, of course, on one’s definition of that “establishment.”

“Republican establishment” is a vague concept, often invoked for merely rhetorical purposes. But the people I spoke with about Jeb Bush this week fit many of what I take to be reasonable criteria for establishment membership.

(Snip)

Searching for Jeb Bush supporters in the belly of the “establishment” beast

@Valin

They are searching the wrong part of the human anatomy.

cc @SrWoodchuck

@Pepper!

Yes. Look further down the alimentary canal......very close to the end.

• Like 1