Boehner retaliates against the Right

Geee

2558284Washington Examiner:

Republican leaders on Tuesday infuriated conservatives by meting out punishment to a group of far-right GOP lawmakers who tried to oust House Speaker John Boehner.

Hours after 24 Republicans voted against Boehner, GOP leaders removed two members from a key committee. By late Tuesday, Reps. Daniel Webster and Richard Nugent, both of Florida, were stripped from the powerful House Rules Committee, which governs the legislative process, including amendments and changes to bills before they reach the House floor for debate.

'I thought maybe we were actually going to be able to work together, but if people are going to be punished for representing their district, there is another big fight about to happen.'

Webster was one of three candidates who announced they were running against Boehner.

A former House speaker for the Florida Legislature, Webster received 12 votes. The other candidates, Ted Yoho, also of Florida, and Louie Gohmert, of Texas, received three and two votes each. Boehner won easily with 216 votes.

Boehner’s decision to punish Nugent and Webster has inflamed an already disgruntled conservative voting bloc, which warned that the move would further divide the Republican Conference.Scissors-32x32.png

Cyber_Liberty

And so the new battle begins....

And this is how we shoot ourselves in the foot every darn time!!!

The argument I hear is "who's shooting whom?" The GOP party leaders like McCain swear it's we who are doing the shooting, while I (speaking only for myself now) think McCain is the one pulling the trigger.

• Like 1

And so the new battle begins....

And this is how we shoot ourselves in the foot every darn time!!!

The argument I hear is "who's shooting whom?" The GOP party leaders like McCain swear it's we who are doing the shooting, while I (speaking only for myself now) think McCain is the one pulling the trigger.

In the 'olden days' these things went on behind closed doors - today everyone wants a microphone!!!!

@Geee

Well Said!

What surprises me is people are (apparently) surprised and shocked that this happened. If you're gonna take down the king, 1. better not fail, because paybacks a bi**H 2. better have an actual plan for how to do it, it appears these guys didn't.

• Like 2

@WestVirginaRebel

SEARCH!

Fox News

Speaker of the House John Boehner is apparently punishing Republicans who voted against his re-election Tuesday, despite previously saying he would not do so.

Reps. Daniel Webster and Richard Nugent are both losing their seats on the House Rules Committee, Politico reported Tuesday evening. Both Florida Republicans voted for Webster instead of Boehner earlier in the day.

Such moves seem to contradict recent statements made by Boehner and his office.

(Snip)

Deleted

Boehner defends retribution

A day after winning his third term as Speaker, John Boehner (R-Ohio) said his conference had begun a "family conversation" about how to respond to the 25 conservatives who revolted and voted against him on the floor.

Boehner confirmed that the Rules Committee agreed hours after the Tuesday vote to boot two of the defectors off the committee: Rep. Daniel Webster (R-Fla.), who challenged Boehner for Speaker, and Rep. Richard Nugent (R-Fla.), who voted for his fellow Florida Republican.

But the Speaker said no final decisions had been made, suggesting Webster and Nugent could rejoin the committee, even as some rank-and-file members complained bitterly about leadership’s retribution in a closed-door GOP conference meeting on Wednesday.

“We had a situation yesterday where we had to constitute the Rules Committee because of some of the activities on the floor. Two of our members weren't put back on the committee immediately,” Boehner told reporters.

“We're going to have a family conversation … about bringing our team together,” he continued. “And I expect those conversations for the next couple of days will continue and we'll come to a decision.Scissors-32x32.png

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/228774-boehner-defends-retribution