Criminal Defense Lawyer James LaRossa Dies; Represented Notorious Mafia Bosses

Valin

Friends of Ours

James M. LaRossa, a federal-prosecutor-turned-defense-lawyer who represented Gambino boss Paul Castellano and Genovese boss Vincent Gigante among other reprobates, has died at 82 as reported by Douglas Martin for The New York Times: "in an interview with People magazine in 1978, Mr. LaRossa said he did not mind defending someone he knew was guilty."

03/21/2012 FBI: John Gotti Was "Public Enemy Number 1"

Gambino boss John Gotti's "reputation as a fierce and dangerous mafia kingpin . . . established him in the public's conscience as 'public enemy number 1" according to recently released FBI documents, and an Oct. 4, 1990 memo from the New York field office directly to the Bureau's Director explains why the Dapper Don and his administration had become its investigative priority:

The present structure of the family's heirarchy developed as a result of the notoriously violent deaths of PAUL CASTELLANO and THOMAS BILOTTI in December, 1985. Scissors-32x32.png

Download John Gotti FBI Files Part 1

Scissors-32x32.png

http://bitterqueen.typepad.com/friends_of_ours/2012/03/fbi-john-gotti-was-public-enemy-number-1.html

These files go down to 10

Gambino boss John Gotti's "reputation as a fierce and dangerous mafia kingpin . .

1. Thanks!

2. Gotti was also an idiot! I mean there was a reason why Carlos Gambino...Joe Bonnano died in their bed. There is this myth out there that these guys are soooo smart and sophisticated...BS. The Vast Majority of them are sociopaths and a goodly number are murderous psychopaths...and serial killers...see Roy Demeo and his Gemini lounge crew.

/rant.

So the question I ask myself is...why do I obsess on these guys? I can't get enough of this stuff.

• Like 1

Gambino boss John Gotti's "reputation as a fierce and dangerous mafia kingpin . .

1. Thanks!

2. Gotti was also an idiot! I mean there was a reason why Carlos Gambino...Joe Bonnano died in their bed. There is this myth out there that these guys are soooo smart and sophisticated...BS. The Vast Majority of them are sociopaths and a goodly number are murderous psychopaths...and serial killers...see Roy Demeo and his Gemini lounge crew.

/rant.

So the question I ask myself is...why do I obsess on these guys? I can't get enough of this stuff.

nor I

Still Mumbling and Disheveled, Accused Mob Leader Appears in Court By JOSEPH P. FRIED Published: September 7, 1996

A week after a judge ruled that he was faking insanity, a gaunt and disheveled Vincent Gigante stumbled into a Brooklyn courtroom yesterday, trembling and moving his lips incessantly, as he was arraigned on charges that he was a powerful Mafia boss who had ordered murders and led lucrative rackets.

To the law enforcement authorities who had fought for years to convince the court that it was all an act to hide his crimes and avoid prosecution -- and who finally succeeded last week -- Mr. Gigante's behavior in Federal District Court in Brooklyn yesterday was a continuation of a masterly performance Scissors-32x32.png

''I have not had a discussion with him in which I think we are communicating in any fashion,'' Mr. Gigante's chief lawyer, James M. La Rossa, told the judge as he entered a plea of not guilty for his client. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/07/nyregion/still-mumbling-and-disheveled-accused-mob-leader-appears-in-court.html

1. Thanks!

/rant.

nor I

Maybe its bad guys are more...interesting (for lack of a better word)?

• Like 1

Still Mumbling and Disheveled, Accused Mob Leader Appears in Court By JOSEPH P. FRIED Published: September 7, 1996

He and Johnny Boy did not play well together. When Big Paul went down it cost Gigante A Lot of money!

• Like 1