Two Interviews by Hugh Hewitt

Valin

www.hughhewitt.comHugh Hewitt Show:

From the sublime

Charles Krauthammer

Audio

HH: 40 years ago tonight, Richard Nixon delivered that address. 40 years ago tomorrow, he resigned the presidency. Joining me on this anniversary, Dr. Charles Krauthammer, author, of course, of Things That Matter, 10 months on the New York Times bestseller list. If I recall correctly, Charles, you probably were not unhappy with that decision 40 years ago.

CK: Well, I do agree that I was young once. Yes, I did have my idiosyncrasies. I think I was 24. I think I remember hearing it while driving a car on the West Side Highway. But as I understand it, Hugh, we’re now about to wallow in Watergate? Is that where we’re going now?

HH: No, I was going to point out that Nixon’s resignation led to a very weakened presidency…

CK: Yeah.

(Snip)

To the incredibly mindblowing the moon is made of green cheese ridiculous

Phyllis Bennis

IPS scholar Phyllis Bennis is quoted in this morning New York Times’ story on ISIS by Peter Baker. She joined me for an interview on her criticism of President Obama’s very minimalist use of force in Iraq as the IS rampage accelerates.

Audio

HH: Joined now by Phyllis Bennis. Phyllis is at the Institute for Policy Studies. She’s a fellow there. She directs the New Internationalism Project at IPS, and she is quoted in the Peter Baker article I was just talking about with Charles Krauthammer in today’s New York Times in which she said about President Obama’s decision to bomb IS in Iraq, “This is a slippery slope if I ever saw one. Whatever else we may have learned from the President’s ‘dumb war’, it should be eminently clear that we cannot bomb Islamist extremists into submission or disappearance. Every bomb recruits more supporters.” Phyllis, welcome, thank you for joining me.

PB: Good to be with you.

HH: You know, I am now fascinated by you, because I read that quote, and I went and watched your great interview with Peter Slen, who’s a friend of mine. I’ve been through that marathon thing over at C-SPAN. And I went and I watched your interview with Reality Asserts Itself from early December. And you have a remarkable career, and we don’t agree on anything, but this will be very, very polite.

PB: Well, I’m glad of that.

(Snip)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Phyllis