Coffee Shop

Rheo

How an arbitrary number broke the internet yesterday http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11030725/How-an-arbitrary-number-broke-the-internet-yesterday.html

Ageing machines which control the internet were designed with an arbitrary limit to the amount of data they could handle. Yesterday, we hit that limit, says Matthew Sparkes

You may have noticed yesterday that your internet connection was rather sluggish, or perhaps went down entirely. You were not alone: problems were reported around the world. We even had issues here at the Telegraph.

Auction site eBay, for instance, collapsed for much of the day. The company has not explained the exact nature of the problem, but admitted in a statement that “technical experts identified this was due to upstream Internet Service Provider (ISP) issues”. Password manager LastPass was also affected, leaving customers locked out of their accounts.

The issue, according to many experts, was with something called the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP). You may never have heard of it, but it is absolutely vital to the operation of the internet and is causing large problems.

BGP is what tier-one ISPs, your last-mile ISP and various large networks use to route data from their own machines to others, and vice versa. When you visit a website, that data bounces all over the world, through machines belonging to all manner of companies and organisations. To make this work, machines called routers (large commercial versions of what you have at home) keep a table of known, trusted routes through the tangled web.

This routing table has been constantly growing in size as the internet expands and becomes more complex – more information needs to be stored in order to allow the router to bounce data to the correct destination along a logical route. Until late 2001, the size of the table was growing exponentially, which was clearly unsustainable. A big effort to implement more efficient methods was made which temporarily slowed expansion. But it didn’t last long.

Scissors-32x32.png

TheTelegraph via TheoSpark

Sounds like the issue with accessing TRR the other day.

• Like 1

How an arbitrary number broke the internet yesterday http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11030725/How-an-arbitrary-number-broke-the-internet-yesterday.html

Ageing machines which control the internet were designed with an arbitrary limit to the amount of data they could handle. Yesterday, we hit that limit, says Matthew Sparkes

You may have noticed yesterday that your internet connection was rather sluggish, or perhaps went down entirely. You were not alone: problems were reported around the world. We even had issues here at the Telegraph.

Auction site eBay, for instance, collapsed for much of the day. The company has not explained the exact nature of the problem, but admitted in a statement that “technical experts identified this was due to upstream Internet Service Provider (ISP) issues”. Password manager LastPass was also affected, leaving customers locked out of their accounts.

The issue, according to many experts, was with something called the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP). You may never have heard of it, but it is absolutely vital to the operation of the internet and is causing large problems.

BGP is what tier-one ISPs, your last-mile ISP and various large networks use to route data from their own machines to others, and vice versa. When you visit a website, that data bounces all over the world, through machines belonging to all manner of companies and organisations. To make this work, machines called routers (large commercial versions of what you have at home) keep a table of known, trusted routes through the tangled web.

This routing table has been constantly growing in size as the internet expands and becomes more complex – more information needs to be stored in order to allow the router to bounce data to the correct destination along a logical route. Until late 2001, the size of the table was growing exponentially, which was clearly unsustainable. A big effort to implement more efficient methods was made which temporarily slowed expansion. But it didn’t last long.

Scissors-32x32.png

TheTelegraph via TheoSpark

Sounds like the issue with accessing TRR the other day.

You could be on to something.

• Like 1

Navy reverses Bible ban

Todd Starnes

August 15, 2014

Put the Bibles back!

A Navy spokesman confirms that Bibles will be returned to base lodges, and theyve also launched an investigation to determine why Gods Word was removed from guest rooms in the first place.

Navy Exchange, which runs the base lodges, sent a directive out in June ordering the Bibles removed, after the Freedom From Religion Foundation filed a complaint. The atheist group alleged the books were a violation of the U.S. Constitution and amounted to a government endorsement of that religious text.

Navy spokesman Ryan Perry said the decision was made without their knowledge.

(Snip)

• Like 1

The Week in Pictures: Que Horreur! Edition
Steven Hayward
August 16, 2014

A few years back I got seated next to former Clinton consigliere Lanny Davis on a coast-to-coast plane flight. It was . . . a very long flight. I imagined the only worse possible fate would be having to sit next to James Carville for a cross-country flight. But now I’ve heard something worse: John Kerry, our comic relief secretary of state, had to fly commercial earlier this week when his government-supplied plane broke down in Hawaii. Can you imagine? I hope the plane stocked extra Grey Poupon. And I hope his magic hat didn’t get crushed in the overhead bin. And offered refunds to the regular passengers.

(Snip)

551x418xObama-Golf-copy.jpg.pagespeed.ic

540x378xHillary-Disses-copy.jpg.pagespee

(Snip)

461x353xObama-Sponsors-copy.jpg.pagespee

600x350xNot-My-Fault-copy.jpg.pagespeed.

(Snip)

504x600xObama-Makes-Bush-Look-Good-copy-

(Snip)

479x600xArt-History-Climate-copy-479x600

(Snip)

561x367xBacon-Bomb-copy.jpg.pagespeed.ic

(snip)

528x600xPost-No-Bills-copy-528x600.jpg.p

(Snip)

397x474x50-Shades-of-Hay-copy.jpg.pagesp

(Snip)

And finally. . .

580x434xHot-163-copy-600x449.jpg.pagespe

• Like 1

righteousmomma

What I always find ironical when people like secular Jew Rob Riener speaksl and I might add he / they sound plainly ignorant and stupid- is that conservative/evangelical Christians whether Repub, Demorat or Independent ( and that is also most of the so called Tea Party constituency) are the best friends that Israel and a Jew have and always have had and always will have. One simple Reason.

( this was meant to go with the Reiner interview above but I pad failed to quote it)

What I always find ironical when people like secular Jew Rob Riener speaksl and I might add he / they sound plainly ignorant and stupid- is that conservative/evangelical Christians whether Repub, Demorat or Independent ( and that is also most of the so called Tea Party constituency) are the best friends that Israel and a Jew have and always have had and always will have. One simple Reason.

( this was meant to go with the Reiner interview above but I pad failed to quote it)

There is a reason why they sound stupid....they are. Actually not so much stupid as politics come before anything (for many of them) as Dennis Prager has said.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

I suspect a giant insidious PLOT is the reason you I-pad wouldn't work.

Rules of the game, Hillary style

Scott Johnson

August 17, 2014

The Las Vegas Review-Journals Laura Myers managed to get a look at the highly confidential contract that Ms. Hillary requires for her overpriced speaking engagements secured through the offices of the Harry Walker Agency.

(Snip)

It is agreed that Speaker will be the only person on the stage during her remarks, according to the May 13 contract the Harry Walker Agency signed for Clintons keynote address at the Bellagio.

According to her standard speaking contract, Clinton will remain at the event no longer than 90 minutes; will pose for no more than 50 photos with no more than 100 people; and wont allow any press coverage or video- or audio-taping of her speech.

(Snip)

■ Round-trip transportation on a chartered private jet e.g., a Gulfstream 450 or larger jet, plus round-trip business class travel for two advance staffers who will arrive up to three days in advance.

■ Hotel accommodations selected by Clintons staff and including a presidential suite for Secretary Clinton and up to three (3) adjoining or contiguous single rooms for her travel aides and up to two (2) additional single rooms for the advance staff.

■ A $500 travel stipend to cover out-of-pocket costs for Clintons lead travel aide.

(Snip)

______________________________________________________________________________________

joy131001b.jpg

Its Good To Be Queen!