What is the difference between a liberal and a progressive?

Valin

Cyber_Liberty

Jonah's article is a great deconstruction of Picketty's tome. I am reminded time and again of the very substantial difference between conservatives and liberals vis. tax policy. The difference is so clear, it makes a great litmus test of the basic philosophy of whomever one is speaking with. I have a simple question I always ask: "What is the purpose of Income Tax?" How they answer tells me exactly where they're coming from.

A conservative will answer, "To raise money" and wants the level of taxation to maximize that income (or at least raise just enough to fund government at its proper level). A liberal will answer, "To distribute income more fairly," and cares not a wit if enough money is being collected to operate the government, just so long as high-income earners get screwed.

I don't think the liberal position is one that can be called "moral." Sounds more like covetousness.

• 2 weeks later...
Draggingtree

The case against an Unconditional Basic Income

By: streiff (Diary) | July 22nd, 2014 at 01:00 PM

An object that is at rest will stay at rest unless an external force acts upon it. –Sir Isaac Newton

Many moons ago with I was a mid-grade infantry captain in the US Army I was selected for an assignment as an investigator with the Department of the Army Inspector General’s office at the headquarters of the US Army Recruiting Command. One of the great things about being an IG was addressing legitimate grievances another was meddling in other people’s jobs—or making a difference, depending upon your point of view.

At that time enlistment was closely tied to unemployment. Less so today because the Army is about 300K smaller than it was when we fielded 18 divisions and were more concerned about combat effectiveness than allowing hirsute rad-fems to self-actualize in the combat arms. Like today, about 70% of young men aged 17-21 could not qualify for the Army because they could not meet one or more of the mental,Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.redstate.com/2014/07/22/case-unconditional-basic-income/

Jonah's article is a great deconstruction of Picketty's tome. I am reminded time and again of the very substantial difference between conservatives and liberals vis. tax policy. The difference is so clear, it makes a great litmus test of the basic philosophy of whomever one is speaking with. I have a simple question I always ask: "What is the purpose of Income Tax?" How they answer tells me exactly where they're coming from.

A conservative will answer, "To raise money" and wants the level of taxation to maximize that income (or at least raise just enough to fund government at its proper level). A liberal will answer, "To distribute income more fairly," and cares not a wit if enough money is being collected to operate the government, just so long as high-income earners get screwed.

I don't think the liberal position is one that can be called "moral." Sounds more like covetousness.

Al Gore's home

bs2-jpg.jpeg

Angelina Jolie's home

Angelina+Jolie+Celebrity+Homes+g9mny8OTg

Nancy Pelosi's home

article-2229073-15E381A2000005DC-961_634

Rev. Jeremiah Wright's home

100627-o-wright-neighbors.jpg

3892509BF183A89F928E339212481A8E.Jpg?wid

Valins Palatial compound!

We Have to do something about Income Inequality!!!

• Like 1

Cyber_Liberty

Nice digs, BTW. You got a doorman with that?

Nice digs, BTW. You got a doorman with that?

doorman...yeah riiiiight!

Lets just say this neighborhood is not exactly Brentwood. smile.png