4th fireworks: A nightmare for combat vets

Geee

fourth-fireworks-nightmare-combat-veteransWashington Times:

Fireworks are an Independence Day staple for most Americans, but for some veterans returning from combat, the loud blasts and bright lights can be horrifying.

The Department of Veterans Affairs said fireworks can trigger anxiety in veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), sometimes inducing panic attacks that can last for hours.

This year, veterans are raising awareness of the issues that fireworks can cause and asking their community members to be courteous in their celebrations.

“Courteous to me means remembering that you are not the only one living in your neighborhood/town/city. America celebrates our independence on the 4th of July. Not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th of July. Some fireworks are expected, and that’s OK. I understand. But, not 24 hours a day,” Jon Dykes, a combat veteran, told Military with PTSD, an Indiana nonprofit.

He was diagnosed with PTSD after serving in 10 years in the Army including four tours in Iraq.Scissors-32x32.png

pollyannaish

I have to say that not only for beta but also for pets, kids and the elderly...it gets very tiresome and stressful.

• Like 1