Coffee Shop

Rheo

Jim Beam Acquired by Japanese Company Along With Maker's Mark
1/14/14

Beam Inc., the classic American whiskey distiller that produces Jim Beam and Maker's Mark bourbon, agreed this week to be acquired by Japanese beverage company Suntory Holdings Ltd. in a massive $13.62 billion deal, The Associated Press reported.

The deal was Beam's answer to the growing demand of its bourbon — a type of American whisky that is made primarily of corn and typically distilled in Kentucky — and will help Suntory expand globally. The new partnership raised some concerns, however, about Beam remaining an American company, but execs assured customers that they are not likely to even notice the new ownership.

Though most of the country's major bourbon brands like Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, and Maker's Mark are owned by foreign companies, the caramel-colored liquor is made almost exclusively in the Bluegrass state, and some master distillers have family ties going as far back as the state's pioneer whiskey-making days. Jim Beam's master distiller, Fred Noe, is a descendant of Jacob Beam, who set up his first Kentucky still in 1795.

(Snip)

ohmy.png I'm not sure I approve of this!

1/14/14

Beam Inc., the classic American whiskey distiller that produces Jim Beam and Maker's Mark bourbon, agreed this week to be acquired by Japanese beverage company Suntory Holdings Ltd. in a massive $13.62 billion deal, The Associated Press reported.

The deal was Beam's answer to the growing demand of its bourbon — a type of American whisky that is made primarily of corn and typically distilled in Kentucky — and will help Suntory expand globally. The new partnership raised some concerns, however, about Beam remaining an American company, but execs assured customers that they are not likely to even notice the new ownership.

Though most of the country's major bourbon brands like Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, and Maker's Mark are owned by foreign companies, the caramel-colored liquor is made almost exclusively in the Bluegrass state, and some master distillers have family ties going as far back as the state's pioneer whiskey-making days. Jim Beam's master distiller, Fred Noe, is a descendant of Jacob Beam, who set up his first Kentucky still in 1795.

(Snip)

@Valin

You can take shots for that.......

1/14/14

(Snip)

@Valin

A double Makers Mark...straight.

1/14/14

(Snip)

@Valin

I'll assume that you want the "un-watered down to 70 proof" Makers Mark?

1/14/14

The deal was Beam's answer to the growing demand of its bourbon a type of American whisky that is made primarily of corn and typically distilled in Kentucky and will help Suntory expand globally. The new partnership raised some concerns, however, about Beam remaining an American company, but execs assured customers that they are not likely to even notice the new ownership.

(Snip)

@Valin

I'll assume that you want the "un-watered down to 70 proof" Makers Mark?

Nothing wrong with water, frozen in a cube shape.

The nice thing about not drinking booze much is you can afford to drink the really good stuff. It takes me about 2 years to go through a

new_makers_mark_bourbon_bottle_42_ABV-76

@Nickydod

shinyStar.jpg

Look a Bright Shiny Thing!

tongue.png

Yup. And what did I see? Beautiful fingernails.

Being an (evil) guy I had 2 thoughts

A. How much?

B. What's in it for me?

sniff sniff

Jamaat activist killed in shootout

January 16, 2014

An activist of Jamaat-e-Islami was killed in a shootout during a raid by law enforcers at a village in Debhata upazila of Satkhira on Tuesday.

The deceased was identified as Anwarul Islam, 28, of Nangla village.

We went to conduct a raid at Ghona village around 9:30am on information that Jamaat-Shibir men were gathering there to launch subversive activities, said Md Mahiduzzaman, additional superintendent of Satkhira police.

(Snip)

A brilliant career as a social reformer cut short.

Cases of bubbly arrive at White House before Michelle Obama's 50th party

The tweet of the day comes from Fox News Channel's White House Correspondent Ed Henry who reveals that a pallet of Chandon sparkling wine has arrived in advance of first lady Michelle Obama's 50th birthday dance party Friday.Scissors-32x32.png

http://washingtonexaminer.com/cases-of-bubbly-arrive-at-white-house-before-michelle-obamas-50th-party/article/2542317

The tweet of the day comes from Fox News Channel's White House Correspondent Ed Henry who reveals that a pallet of Chandon sparkling wine has arrived in advance of first lady Michelle Obama's 50th birthday dance party Friday.Scissors-32x32.png

http://washingtonexaminer.com/cases-of-bubbly-arrive-at-white-house-before-michelle-obamas-50th-party/article/2542317

I read somewhere and can't remember where, probably FR, but they said the invitations to her party told people to eat before they come

I read somewhere and can't remember where, probably FR, but they said the invitations to her party told people to eat before they come.

Ever the Class Act!

I read somewhere and can't remember where, probably FR, but they said the invitations to her party told people to eat before they come

Read that too. Serving just snacks. Can just imagine the 'snacks'rolleyes.gif

Senators criticize Sunday shows for lack of climate change talk

Climate change received less than 27 minutes of air time in 2013 on the Sunday news shows, according to a new Media Matters For America study–and a group of Democratic senators are speaking out about it.

In a letter sent to the heads of Fox News, CBS News, ABC News, and msnbc’s parent company NBCUniversal, nine senators argued that the subject of climate change was being overlooked on the national stage, and it affected news coverage throughout the week as well.

“Although it is a modest improvement over the eight minutes of coverage in 2012, given the widely recognized challenge that climate change poses to the nation and the world, this is an absurdly short amount of time for a subject of such importance,” the senators wrote.

Senators writing to broadcasters to influence coverage...