'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

WestVirginiaRebel

"A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community."

Just thinking... We've come a long way "Baby" since the acceptance of the "Gay Community".

Now it's LGBT... That's the new bar for acceptance.

Pretty soon it will be LGBTPBP as the new norm for acceptability.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Polygamist, Bestialimist, Pedophile

After all... Who are we to judge one's "love" interest or identity?.

And Now, a Word About Ducks from Cato

Michael Walsh

December 20, 2013

(Snip)

Comments

Theo Goodwin

Are you saying that my right to free speech extends only to federal government action against me? My right to free speech does not mean that the federal government has a duty to protect my speech from others who would silence me?

hobokenite Theo Goodwin

an hour ago

No, the Federal Gov has no 'duty' to protect you from being fired from your job for spouting off homophobic and racially insensitive comments.

The constitution states: "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press"

This is a private party (A&E) suspending one of their employees for potentially offensive statements.

You have the right to say what you want, but others have the right to take private action against you as a result.

Theo Goodwin hobokenite

an hour ago

You introduced another question and confused the two. I know that AE has the right to fire an employee because they feel harmed by him. Now the other question.

The other question is very different. If the state of Virginia passes a law that forbids Christians to criticize homosexuality, you believe that the state action is not a violation of the First Amendment on free speech grounds?

Take another version of the same question. Do you believe that the Microsoft corporation can require all employees to avoid criticism of homosexuality even in their private lives yet be in compliance with the free speech clause of the First Amendment?

hobokenite Theo Goodwin

an hour ago

Well, your two scenarios are entirely different. One is the state, the other is a private corporation.

Virginia (government/law): That would be a clear violation of the Constitution, and the law would be struck down very quickly, and rightfully so.

Microsoft (private party): That's trickier. If an employee makes hostile statements that are in violation of the employee code of conduct while at work, in an email or company twitter feed, conference or trade show then yes, Microsoft has grounds for termination.

Firing someone for attending a Klan rally on their personal time is a little trickier and has to do with employment law, but nothing to do with the First Amendment.

Theo Goodwin hobokenite

39 minutes ago

"Microsoft (private party): That's trickier. If an employee makes hostile statements that are in violation of the employee code of conduct while at work, in an email or company twitter feed, conference or trade show then yes, Microsoft has grounds for termination."

You continue to confuse the two questions. Microsoft requires all employees to not criticize homosexuality even in their private lives. An employee does nothing but tell his children that homosexuality is morally wrong. Microsoft fires the employee for doing that. Is that in violation of the free speech clause in the First Amendment?

(Snip)

DUCK DYNASTY MESS HITS CRITICAL MASS: ONLY TWO WAYS IT CAN END...

Rip Curl

The "Duck Dynasty" situation has gotten as hot and spicy as a bowl of creole jambalaya, with the down-home Louisiana family threatening to walk away from its popular cable show and host channel A&E network stuck between a rock and a hard gumbo.

The temperature rose Friday, when a insider to the show -- which generates nearly half a billion dollars in advertising and merchandise -- said the family is "serious" in its threat to walk away if A&E goes through with a suspension for patriarch Phil Robertson.

That threat sets up only two ways the spectacle can end.

"If the network backs down and they bring Phil back, they look weak. If they stand their ground, the family probably won’t move forward, and A&E loses their highest-rated show," the insider told E!

"No one can really imagine the show going forward without Phil. It would be too weird," the source said, adding that the family is hunkering down and drawing together, with their top priority of not abandoning Papa Phil Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.truthrevolt.org/news/duck-dynasty-mess-hits-critical-mass-only-two-ways-it-can-end

DUCK DYNASTY MESS HITS CRITICAL MASS: ONLY TWO WAYS IT CAN END...

The temperature rose Friday, when a insider to the show -- which generates nearly half a billion dollars in advertising and merchandise -- said the family is "serious" in its threat to walk away if A&E goes through with a suspension for patriarch Phil Robertson.

That threat sets up only two ways the spectacle can end.

"If the network backs down and they bring Phil back, they look weak. If they stand their ground, the family probably won’t move forward, and A&E loses their highest-rated show," the insider told E!

money is money...Family is Family.

• Like 1

21Dec

Duck Dynasty And The New Fascism In America (Guest Post)

By: David M. Huntwork

duck-dynasty-season-31.jpg

The network A&E issued a statement late Wednesday branding Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson’s recent statements to GQ about sin and homosexuality unacceptable and indicated that his beliefs “in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who [sic] have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community.” The network has placed Phil under indefinite hiatus.

Expressing a Biblical viewpoint is now “unacceptable?” In any forum? Really? How far and how fast we have fallen as a society and as a culture. Freedom of speech and freedom of religion (especially the Christian one) is no longer tolerated in the eyes of those who have completely capitulated to the charms of the gay agenda and those who seek to complete the mainstreaming of homosexuality into society without debate or criticism.

It is amazing that one can now be hounded, punished, and censored for merely having the audacity of believing in traditional morals and values. And for daring to express them.

Political correctness is a tool of tyranny wielded by the radical isms of the Left with increasing ferocityScissors-32x32.png

http://floppingaces.net/2013/12/21/duck-dynasty-and-the-new-fascism-in-america-guest-post/

Houston mayor wades into Duck Dynasty waters

By Dug Begley | December 21, 2013 | Updated: December 21, 2013 3:45pm

Houston Mayor Annise Parker on Saturday took a shot at Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson, calling the backwood baron of duck calls and reality TV star a "redneck wingnut" in relation to his views on homosexuality.

Parker, in a midday tweet, called Robertson views "completely irrelevant," following on a remark she made to John Wright, publisher of Lone Star Q, a Texas-based blog focused on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues.

"I've been a gay community activist since the mid-70s," Wright quoted Parker as saying. "It was a very different time. We were fighting to keep people out of jails and mental hospitals. What some redneck wingnut has to say about the GLBT community is completely irrelevant."

Parker followed the Friday quip with a tweet Saturday.

"I was serious. Who cares?," Parker wrote on her official mayoral Twitter account.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/houston/article/Houston-mayor-wades-into-Duck-Dynasty-waters-5084690.php?cmpid=hpbn

FYI “ The Mayor is also gay”

December 20, 2013 6:00 PM

The Age of Intolerance

The forces of “tolerance” are intolerant of anything less than full-blown celebratory approval.

ByMark Steyn

Last week, following the public apology of an English comedian and the arrest of a fellow British subject both for making somewhat feeble Mandela gags, I noted that supposedly free societies were increasingly perilous places for those who make an infelicitous remark. So let’s pick up where we left off:

Here are two jokes one can no longer tell on American television. But you can still find them in the archives, out on the edge of town, in Sub-Basement Level 12 of the ever-expanding Smithsonian Mausoleum of the Unsayable. First, Bob Hope, touring the world in the year or so after the passage of the 1975 Consenting Adult Sex Bill:

“I’ve just flown in from California, where they’ve made homosexuality legal. I thought I’d get out before they make it compulsory.”Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/366896/age-intolerance-mark-steyn

'Duck Dynasty'

Cracker Barrel Bails On Phil's Products

12/21/2013 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1221-phil-duck-dynasty-cracker-barrel-1.
Cracker Barrel has become the first sponsor to cut bait with "Duck Dynasty" ... but not entirely.

The Southern-themed food chain reacted to Phil Robertson's anti-gay comments by removing "selected products which we were concerned might offend some of our guests" from their stores and restaurants.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/21/duck-dynasty-cracker-barrel-phil-robertson-boycott/

ohmy.png PC at work wallbash.gif

'Duck Dynasty'

Cracker Barrel has become the first sponsor to cut bait with "Duck Dynasty" ... but not entirely.

The Southern-themed food chain reacted to Phil Robertson's anti-gay comments by removing "selected products which we were concerned might offend some of our guests" from their stores and restaurants.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/21/duck-dynasty-cracker-barrel-phil-robertson-boycott/

I am surprised by Cracker Barrel because the had there own incident with gay comments quite a few years back and they went through a boycott. Can't remember the exact circumstances.

You Might Be Sick of Hearing About Duck Dynasty. But Youve Been Hearing About It for a Reason.

Walter Hudson

20 December 2013

Reacting to a phenomenal wave of activity across social media in the wake of cable network A&Es suspension of Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson for expressing his Christian view of homosexuality, many liberty activists have voiced frustration with the amount of attention a reality show can garner while in their view far more pressing issues persist. Some have even suggested that the entire drama has been orchestrated by the media to divert attention from issues like the implosion of Obamacare or the expanding NSA spying scandal.

(Snip)

Theres an irony here which ought to command our attention. The essence of liberty emerges as the principle of individual rights, the recognition that each person retains the prerogative to form their own value judgments. The political left rejects that principle, insisting that individuals surrender their chosen values and adopt those deemed superior by an elite ruling class. Their willingness to wield force and compel others to forsake chosen values metastasizes from an initial conviction that people ought to think a certain way. Getting upset about how upset someone else gets about something you dont think they should be upset about it really says more about you than it does about them. It manifests from a latent bit of tyranny which would make others reorient their values.

(Snip)

Why does Phil Robertson getting kicked off of A&E generate more public outcry than a bombed wedding in Yemen? Its not hard to figure out. The Duck Dynasty audience does not live in a place where weddings get bombed. Its not something they can relate to. However, they can relate to having their speech chilled by institutions hostile to their religion and worldview. Phil Robertson thus stands in for many who feel they too have been censured for their beliefs. People support him because they share his values and can relate to his ordeal.

(Snip)

Why does Phil Robertson getting kicked off of A&E generate more public outcry than a bombed wedding in Yemen?

And because the MSM virtually hid this story to protect the image and policies of Obama.

Just ask yourself.... "What if GWB had bombed a wedding party?"

The duck and jackass dynasty

By Michael Hiltzik

December 21, 2013, 7:08 a.m.

I got the gist of the "Duck Dynasty" thing after my first and only viewing: bunch of rural jackasses who somehow struck it rich get brought into our living rooms to be laughed at by the rest of us aristocrats.

Well, all right. When the archetype first appeared on television via the "Beverly Hillbillies" it was also enormously popular, but also taken as an illustration of how TV was living down to its condemnation by FCC Chairman Newton Minow as a "vast wasteland."

In any event, A&E knew what it was doing when it put these people on the air, so its show of indignation in "suspending" one of them for speaking out against gays and the aspirations of African Americans falls a little flat.

What's truly ghastly, however, is the reaction of a couple of political figures. Sarah Palin's opinion isn't worth the eleven words I've just written to dismiss it. But Bobby Jindal still holds down office as the governor of Louisiana. That raises the question: Has it become acceptable again for an American politician to embrace unashamed bigotry? Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-duck-20131221,0,6012046.story#axzz2oCgjdgJG

'Duck Dynasty'

I am surprised by Cracker Barrel because the had there own incident with gay comments quite a few years back and they went through a boycott. Can't remember the exact circumstances.

Cracker Barrel @CrackerBarrel

Follow

We made a mistake, we listened to you, and we apologize. #DuckDynasty products are back in our stores. http://goo.gl/zftvZe

10:19 AM - 22 Dec 2013

H/T Twitchy

• Like 1

Not comparable: Kirsten Powers compares Phil Robertsons comments to Martin Bashirs attack on Sarah Palin

Kirsten Powers ✔ @kirstenpowers10

Follow

FWIW I don't think Robertson should have been fired. But why do the ppl who wanted Bashir fired now say firing someone is attack on freedom

12:51 PM - 22 Dec 2013

Tammy Bruce ✔ @HeyTammyBruce

Follow

@kirstenpowers10 Bashir argued for something harmful to happen to a specific person; Robertson was expressing an opinion. Big difference.

2:11 PM - 22 Dec 2013

http://youtu.be/01hQhUa7RcU

Gay Patriot: And Another Thing

28160.jpg

I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other. Intolerant, bigoted hick, Phil Robertson

I wish they (Republicans) were all fking dead! Tolerant, enlightened leftist, Dan Savage

• Like 1

One of the best and honest articles that I've seen on the issue... from a MSM magazine.

The Atlantic

The Genuine Conflict Being Ignored in the Duck Dynasty Debate
An evangelical Christian points out that there is, in fact, a tension between orthodox Christianity and homosexuality. Saying otherwise robs American society of an honest debate about how to reconcile sexual tolerance with religious tolerance.
Scissors-32x32.png

Worth a full read.

The difference in "tolerance" versus "acceptance" is a point ofter blurred by the Left.

Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.

righteousmomma

Excellent article, NCT - and I especially agreed with the Rick warren quote you posted.

After reading the "comments" it is obvious how divided as a nation we are - political correctness and a 100 years of liberal educational thought has run amok in a size - able portion of the world . Forget any sense of rational reasoning or critical thinking, Forget a traditional understanding of history and society. Forget the Donne philosophical and faith based statement that "No man is an island."

Secularism and humanism reign in that size -able portion. No argument can convince them nor change them.

Excellent article, NCT - and I especially agreed with the Rick warren quote you posted.

After reading the "comments" it is obvious how divided as a nation we are - political correctness and a 100 years of liberal educational thought has run amok in a size - able portion of the world . Forget any sense of rational reasoning or critical thinking, Forget a traditional understanding of history and society. Forget the Donne philosophical and faith based statement that "No man is an island."

Secularism and humanism reign in that size -able portion. No argument can convince them nor change them.

Its not our job to change them, our job is just to speak the truth to them (in love) and let God do the work of changing them.

I would also add we've seen this before....many many times.

One of the best and honest articles that I've seen on the issue... from a MSM magazine.

The Atlantic

An evangelical Christian points out that there is, in fact, a tension between orthodox Christianity and homosexuality. Saying otherwise robs American society of an honest debate about how to reconcile sexual tolerance with religious tolerance.

Scissors-32x32.png

Worth a full read.

The difference in "tolerance" versus "acceptance" is a point ofter blurred by the Left.

Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.

"But now the show is in jeopardy. In a well-publicized interview with GQ"

Does Phil and the rest of the Robertson clan, really care? I get the impression they don't....and good for them.

The Atlantic

Scissors-32x32.png

Worth a full read.

Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someones lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You dont have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.

"But now the show is in jeopardy. In a well-publicized interview with GQ"

Does Phil and the rest of the Robertson clan, really care? I get the impression they don't....and good for them.

MarcVell

6 minutes ago

This is an excellent column getting to the root of the issue that has been ignored. I am both gay and Catholic and I simply do my best to accommodate both these facets of me. My serenity is that I don't think many things in the Old Testament can be accepted at face value; but the words of Jesus are what's important.

On a side note, it's ironic that the same media companies that have been trashing Robertson always make their female reporters wear a head scarf when reporting from Muslim countries or even sitting in a studio interviewing a Muslim leader. I guess Christianity is meant to be mocked whereas respect must be shown in the name of diversity to Islam.

Duck Dynasty And The New Fascism In America (Guest Post)
o-DUCK-DYNASTY-facebook-150x91.jpg

The network A&E issued a statement late Wednesday branding Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson’s recent statements to GQ about sin and homosexuality unacceptable and indicated that his beliefs “in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who [sic] have always … Continue reading →Scissors-32x32.png