Grilled Asparagus Spears to the Heart

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Grilled Asparagus Spears to the Heart

Grilled asparagus develops rich flavors you just can't get by boiling or steaming. Seasoned, grilled, drizzled with good olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and topped with curls of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

Grilled Asparagus Recipe

Yield: 2 servings

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Cooking time: 6-10 minutes

Ingredients

16 stalks fresh asparagus, no canned allowed

3 tablespoons cheap olive oil

1/4 teaspoon Morton's kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon each total of some or all of the following: Black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chipotle powder

1 small block of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, enough to get 20-30 slivers of shaved cheese

1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar

About the cooking oil. You can also use melted butter, nut oils, or mix in 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil.

About the spices. I often reach for my Simon & Garfunkel spice blend. It's perfect for this.

About the finishing oil. Most of the cooking oil drips off,so adding a little fresh oil at the table rally perks things up. At the table you can substitute butter for the olive oil if you wish, especially if you cooked with butter. If I cook with olive oil, I finish with olive oil.

About the balsamic. I recommend a tradizionale or a reduction of an inexpensive balsamic as described in my article The Zen of Balsamic Vinegar. If you don't have balsamic (and just why don't you?), then use a splash of fresh lemon or lime juice.

Optional. Sometimes I like to throw some macadamia nuts, cashews, or peanuts in a pan and heat them on medium high for a few minutes until they toast but don't burn, and then I sprinkle them on the asparagus just before serving. 1/4 cup is more than enough for this recipe.

Method

1) Pour the cheap oil in a coffee cup and add the spices. Let the mix sit for about 5 minutes.

2) Chop off the woody part of the spear near the bottom. Lay the asparagus on a platter or in a pan and pour the flavored oil over them and roll them around until they are well-covered. Let them marinate for about 5 minutes.

2) Preheat the grill to medium hot. Place the asparagus at a right angle to the grid of the grill grates so they don't fall through. If one commits suicide, just leave it alone. Don't try to retrieve it now. Grill the asparagus, lid on, until they brown slightly on one side, about 5 minutes, roll them and grill for only 2-3 minutes on the second side. A few char marks are OK, but don't incinerate them. Stand by your grill. Bite into one near the base to make sure the doneness is the way you like it (I like it with a bit of crunch).

3) Arrange on a platter when they are done so they are all pointing in the same direction. Let them cool for about 5 minutes. They do not have to be red hot when served. Now sprinkle with the cheese, the oil, and the vinegar. You can substitute lemon or lime juice for the vinegar if you wish.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/slaws_salads_and_other_vegetables/grilled_asparagus.html

We have grilled or roasted asparagus very often.

It's important to get some that are medium large in size and not the skinny soda straw sized.

We were in our local Whole Foods a few weeks ago and decided to buy some "organic" asparagus from California. I usually won't spend an extra penny to buy "organic".

I had to eat my words. These were great flavored and amazingly sweet. We've bought them there again but never had them as sugary.

Generally I just drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Jane's Seasoning Salt... a staple here that I learned from my Mom.

0003068489561_500X500.jpg

Draggingtree

We have grilled or roasted asparagus very often.

It's important to get some that are medium large in size and not the skinny soda straw sized.

We were in our local Whole Foods a few weeks ago and decided to buy some "organic" asparagus from California. I usually won't spend an extra penny to buy "organic".

I had to eat my words. These were great flavored and amazingly sweet. We've bought them there again but never had them as sugary.

Generally I just drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Jane's Seasoning Salt... a staple here that I learned from my Mom.

0003068489561_500X500.jpg

I'll say I have never see or heard of Jane's, now I will go out of my way to find the brand and try it. thanks for the tip

• 3 weeks later...