The Modern World: What and Who Do You Love and Hate?

Valin

Ricochet

tabula rasa

5/17/13

I've had occasion recently to read or re-read most of the works of C. S. Lewis. It's been a great experience, but it has caused me to ponder an issue that was often on Lewis's mind: Lewis was never comfortable with the modern world, and had an active dislike for much of it.

His literary world was that of Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, and the first Queen Elizabeth. His religious world was orthodox Christianity (with the miraculous and supernatural included)-- which he saw fading before his eyes. On the other hand, he didn't try to live a 16th century existence. When his wife was diagnosed with cancer, she underwent the most modern treatments available, and there's some indication if may have extended her life.

So here's the question: Are there things you hate about the modern world? Are there things you love? Are there things about the past and its traditions that you wish would re-enter 21st century life?

(Snip)

Things I like

A. Potable water

B. Indoor plumbing

C. Cheap energy

D. The Internet and all in information it puts at my finger tips.

Things I don't like

A. The lack of a sense of Shame or Morals

B. The sense of Entitlement I see so often.

C. Ignorant (not stupid) people shouting their ill informed opinions on subjects they know nothing or very little about.

this has become once again a biggie of late

D. The obsession with the trivial things.

You will of course notice something one list has to do with things the other with people.

So what are yours?