Sessions: Comprehensive Reform Won’t Pass As Long As Admin Defies Existing Immigration Law

Draggingtree

Sessions-Comprehensive-Reform-Wont-Pass-As-Long-As-Admin-Defies-Existing-Immigration-Law-188735161.htmlwtvy.com:

Posted: Mon 3:45 PM, Jan 28, 2013

Sessions: Comprehensive Reform Won’t Pass As Long As Admin Defies Existing Immigration Law

WASHINGTON—U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Ranking Member of the Senate Budget Committee and former Ranking Member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, issued the following statement on the new push for comprehensive immigration reform and amnesty:

“Americans overwhelmingly oppose illegal immigration. They have pleaded with Congress to end the mass illegality for decades to little avail. All the while, millions have been added to the total of those illegally here.

It’s time to fix that broken system. Now we are told that the Obama Administration and members of Congress say they have a plan that they promise will do the job. So, the American people will need to watch closely. And, members of Congress must insist that they have a full and complete opportunity to study and amend such legislation. Scissors-32x32.png

Immigration reform framework by March

By: Adam Tragone

1/28/2013 04:58 PM

A bipartisan group of senators have pledged a statement of principles on a comprehensive immigration package that would bring a path of citizenship for the 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States.

The framework, agreed upon by eight senators, led by Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), will address four key areas, including securing the border, reforming the legal immigration system, establishing an effective E-Verify system and creating a system for admitting future workers.

Five of the eight senators presented their conclusions at a Monday afternoon news conference at the U.S. Capitol.

“The key to the compromise is to recognize that Americans overwhelmingly oppose illegal immigration and support legal immigration,” Schumer said.

McCain, who Schumer called ‘the glue’ Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/01/28/immigration-framework-by-march-says-members-of-the-gang-of-eight/

hold your nose it's coming my " Friends "

As I understand it (and as always I could be wrong) what the GOP plan says is you apply to stay here, proper security checks are run, allback taxes are paid, you then can stay here work here, then after ten years(?) you can apply for a Green Card which you could get after going to the end of the line and the five year waiting period. So it sounds like there will be a 15 year waiting period before you become a citizen.

What makes anyone think that the Obama administration want to solve this issue?

In addition the problem many have is Securing The Border. Until that happens......

A Goal for Immigration Reform: Safe, Legal, and Rare

1/28/13

A bipartisan “group of eight” (tired of that phrase yet?) senators announced a new plan to reform immigration today. As Obama prepares to give a speech in Las Vegas tomorrow outlining his plans for immigration, both parties seem willing to put aside their differences to chase the Hispanic vote. The document sketches out a comprehensive reform that is “tough but fair”, a phrase repeated four times over five pages, so you know they mean it.

The group’s first and most important proposal is a path to citizenship for current immigrants living illegally in the U.S. To earn probationary legal status, illegals would need to register, pay back taxes and a fine, and get background-checked. They would then go to the back of the green card line, where they would have to pay more taxes and pass English and civics tests.

(Snip)

The GOP has lost so much credibility by taking a simplistic approach to a complex problem that it is currently unable to offer much in the way of constructive leadership on the issue. And the Democrats seem to think that pandering is a substitute for policy. Neither approach has what we need, but it’s just possible that with a bipartisan approach we’ll have more of an effort to control the frontier than Democrats alone would offer and a more comprehensive and generous approach to illegals than Republicans on their own would provide. That’s still not enough, but it’s much better than nothing.

(Snip)

ICE numbers show that with illegal immigration comes crime:

http://thevirtuousre...on-comes-crime/

Scissors-32x32.png

Overall, in FY 2012 ICE’s Office of Enforcement and Removal Operations removed 409,849 individuals. Of these, approximately 55 percent, or 225,390 of the people removed, were convicted of felonies or misdemeanors – almost double the removal of criminals in FY 2008. This includes 1,215 aliens convicted of homicide; 5,557 aliens convicted of sexual offenses; 40,448 aliens convicted for crimes involving drugs; and 36,166 aliens convicted for driving under the influence. Read more….

Now keep in mind, these are only the illegal criminal aliens that were caught and prosecuted.

So, our government admits that 1215 lives could have been saved if the border was only secured.

Five thousand and five hundred sexual assaults could have been stopped if our border was only secured.

Furthermore, everyday, our government preaches to us how evil drink and driving is. Yet, because that very same government allows a mass migration of undocumented aliens across our borders, 36,000 more drunk drivers were on our roads.

Where is the outrage? Illegal immigration is a plague upon our nation and it is afflicted upon us by our very government.

Scissors-32x32.png

1/29/2013

Open Thread: Amnesty II

Filed under: General— Patterico @ 7:32 am

Because Amnesty I was so awesome.

How does this work out for the GOP? I think the argument is: you have to stop antagonizing Latinos and support anmesty that will legalize millions of people who aren’t ever going to vote for you, because otherwise you will lose elections.

That about sum it up? Scissors-32x32.png

http://patterico.com/2013/01/29/open-thread-amnesty-ii/

The fraud at the heart of the Gang of 8 immigration proposal

Paul Mirengoff

1/29/13

The key component of the Gang of 8 Senate immigration proposal is the provision requiring that our borders be deemed “secure” before those who are in the country illegally now can begin the process towards U.S. citizenship. This provision purports to address the concern that providing a path to citizenship will encourage more illegal immigration.

Even in theory, providing a path to citizenship that’s contingent on securing the border is bad policy. For one thing, those who violated our laws are still rewarded for their behavior, above and beyond the significant rewards they have already accrued. Moreover, a secure border at one moment in time — when so much is riding on a certification of security — hardly a guarantees a secure border in the future.

These concerns aside, the border certification process contemplated by the Gang of 8 appears to be phony. The Gang’s proposal calls, inevitably, for a commission to opine on border security. Frank Sharry, a leading liberal advocate of immigration reform, has told Greg Sargent of the Washington Post that Democratic Senators assure him the commission won’t be constructed in a way that will hold up the process for too long:

(Snip)

The only reasons I am willing to look seriously at this plan is A. Marco Rubio & B. At some point this is going to have to be seriously addressed.

Until our southern border is well and truly secured many of us are going to be skeptical.

Obama's Immigration Plan: Expedite 11 Million Illegal Immigrants to Citizenship

Katie Pavlich

1/19/13

President Obama has wrapped up his $1.6 million campaign event immigration reform speech in Las Vegas, Nevada.

(Snip)

"We can't allow immigration reform to get bogged down in endless debate," Obama said. "For the first time in years, Republicans and Democrats seem ready to attack this problem together."

Although Obama focused on further enforcement as a top priority for reform, he stressed the need to expedite 11 million illegal immigrants away from the shadows and into American society as citizens, a position bound to put the country into another post-1986 amnesty situation.

(Snip)

Obama starts off the bipartisan movement on an interesting note:

Obama on immigration reform: I'll act if Congress doesn't

Obama starts off the bipartisan movement on an interesting note:

Obama on immigration reform: I'll act if Congress doesn't

So in other words...nothing different.

How flexible of him

RidesAPaleHorse

Sessions: "Comprehensive Reform Won’t Pass As Long As Admin Defies Existing Immigration Law"

"Well unless they start calling us raaaaaaaaacists or something"

(spit)

The intertwined fates of Marco Rubio and immigration reform

The bipartisan package won't pass if Rubio backs out. And if Rubio fails on immigration, it could imperil his future political prospects

Edward Morrissey

January 29, 2013

Perhaps the move by a handful of Senate Republicans and Democrats to press ahead on a compromise immigration reform package will not surprise many observers. The rationales on both sides are clear. President Barack Obama got some backlash during the presidential campaign from Latino voters, who responded to his promise of immigration reform in a second term by reminding Obama that he promised the same thing before his first term, and totally failed to deliver. Democrats have wanted to press forward on normalization for existing illegal immigrants for years, hoping to reap the benefit of the additional voters in years ahead. Republicans, who have balked at reform in part for that reason, saw the changing demographics of the electorate in 2012 and knew they needed to address the issues or risk being shut out of a key bloc of current voters for the foreseeable future. And now, Sen. Marco Rubio, who I interviewed yesterday, is at the heart of this fledgling deal.

The surprise, if there is one, is that compromise arrived so quickly. The Gang of Eight on immigration rolled out their conceptual plan on Monday, just a week after Obama's inauguration. For the last two years, Congress has been singularly unable to reach broad compromises on nearly any issue. The Senate hasn't even produced a normal budget since April 2010, their most basic responsibility, thanks to a failure of leadership and a desire to maintain financial-crisis levels of federal spending without accountability or formal dissent. Neither the Senate nor the House has produced a workable compromise on immigration since 1986, a bill that Republicans mainly remember for a broken promise by the Democratic-controlled Congress to address border security after Ronald Reagan signed off on a general amnesty.

With that history of dysfunction, any agreement among even a small number of Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill seems surprising. Even with the stakes high for both parties, as they have been on taxes, spending, and the debt ceiling, this current political class has been more interested in deducing how to exploit problems than in finding solutions to them.

And at least conceptually, the plan looks like a real compromise, with all sides being able to claim some victories, and all sides conceding on long-standing points of principle. Democrats gained a path to citizenship through normalization of most existing illegal immigrants. Republicans won on a process that puts those applicants behind those already in line for immigration, plus fines, background checks, and a bar on federal welfare resources. A new guest-worker program to supply low-cost labor will eventually emerge, and so will enhanced requirements for employer verification of new hires. The bill addresses border security and visa programs that have long been dysfunctional, requiring their reform as a trigger to proceed with normalization as heretofore illegal immigrants register with the government and bring their economy out of the shadows.

(Snip)

As I understand it (and as always I could be wrong) what the GOP plan says is you apply to stay here, proper security checks are run, allback taxes are paid, you then can stay here work here, then after ten years(?) you can apply for a Green Card which you could get after going to the end of the line and the five year waiting period. So it sounds like there will be a 15 year waiting period before you become a citizen.

What makes anyone think that the Obama administration want to solve this issue?

In addition the problem many have is Securing The Border. Until that happens......

Your understanding is the same as I understand the plan also, my thought we have been talking about Securing the Border the border / Reagan’s / amnesty,

So why would I think the parties would do it now, so lets be nice and say all the sweet things and maybe they will vote for us.

I Don’t Like Marco Rubio’s Plan

By: Erick Erickson (Diary) | January 29th, 2013 at 10:46 PM | 68

There. I said it. You’d be surprised how long it has taken to say this. I’ve let multiple friends vet the various drafts of posts I’ve written on this and they all wind up arguing with each other over the details. Is it amnesty or isn’t it? Should we give a path to citizenship or not? We are getting in the weeds when the basics | Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.redstate.com/2013/01/29/i-dont-like-marco-rubios-plan/

Applying Conservative Principles To Immigration

By: Sen. Marco Rubio (Diary) | January 30th at 11:38 AM | 24

I appreciate the opportunity to respond to Erick’s post last night regarding the principles for immigration reform I have recently developed. Before diving into the details of the plan, I ...

Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.redstate.com/rubiopress/2013/01/30/applying-conservative-principles-to-immigration/

• Like 1

Amnesty and the Welfare State

By: Daniel Horowitz (Diary) | January 30th, 2013 at 10:20 AM | 6

As we contemplate granting full citizenship to millions more legal and illegal low-skilled immigrants, it would be wise to review the status of the current welfare state. Robert Rector and Jennifer Marshall of the Heritage Foundation, two of the leading experts on welfare policy and poverty, have put out an informative report on the welfare state and where we are headed in terms of reform | Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.redstate.com/2013/01/30/amnesty-and-the-welfare-state/

Pushback: Gingrich, Vitter, National Review, Malkin, Coulter, Erickson oppose Rubio’s immigration plan

Allahpundit

January 30, 2013

The key subplot to Rubio’s immigration push, of course, is how much of a headache it’ll be for him with conservatives in the 2016 primaries. The talk-radio charm offensive is mainly designed to get grassroots opinion-shapers like Rush to at least wait and see what the bill looks like before lobbying against it, but more broadly it’s designed to move the Overton window on what positions are acceptable for a good conservative to hold. Rubio can afford to have immigration reform fail; he can’t afford to be RINO-ized over it. Like I said yesterday, whether or not a bill ends up passing, he’s already achieved something significant by getting Rush et al. to acknowledge that “recognizing reality” in terms of a grand bargain on immigration is something “admirable and noteworthy.” No matter what happens now, unless he ends up voting for a watered-down Democratic bill with token enforcement (which he won’t), he’s got that as a soundbite for his primary ads in 2016. James Antle makes a good point too in noting that none of Rubio’s would-be rivals for the nomination have attacked him on this yet. Jindal, Paul, and Christie have all kept quiet and Ryan has actually endorsed Rubio’s plan. The likely candidates don’t want to alienate Latino voters and the pundits with big audiences don’t want to kneecap a guy who might end up being the party’s best chance to regain the presidency.

So how’s all of this playing with conservatives in the Senate and online? Is Rubiomania enough in itself to convince people to reserve judgment until the first draft bill hits the floor in March? Not yet:

(Snip)

Yeah, Rubio’s wisely focused on the enforcement provisions in his chats with conservative media but even if he gets Schumer et al. to bend a little on those — which I think they will, if only because enforcement can be eroded over time — he’s got the problem Vitter mentions of immediate probationary legal status for illegals who are already here. I don’t think Schumer will be as yielding about that. Neither does National Review, which opposes the bill in part on grounds that, let’s face it, there’s no way Democrats can be trusted on this issue:

(Snip)

2 points

A. If The Boney Blond Broad is against it, it must have some good going for it.

B. OK Fine it's just a horrible idea, so what is the plan then? I ask this, because this is not going away.