Panetta to lift ban on women in combat

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

panetta-opens-combat-roles-to-womenFox News:

Women in all branches of the military soon will have unprecedented opportunities to serve on the front lines of the nation's wars.

Leon Panetta, in one of his last acts as President Obama's defense secretary, is preparing to announce the policy change, which would open hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war, the Pentagon confirmed Wednesday.

The groundbreaking move recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff overturns a 1994 rule banning women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units. Panetta's decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women.

"This policy change will initiate a process whereby the services will develop plans to implement this decision, which was made by the secretary of defense upon the recommendation of the Joint Chiefs of Staff," a senior defense official told reporters on condition of anonymity.

Some front-line military roles may open to women as soon as this year. Assessments for others, such as special operations forces, including Navy SEALS and the Army's Delta Force, may take longer.

A defense official told the Associated Press that the military chiefs must report back to Panetta with their initial implementation plans by May 15. The announcement on Panetta's decision is not expected until Thursday, so the official spoke on condition of anonymity.

Panetta's move expands the Pentagon's action nearly a year ago to open about 14,500 combat positions to women, nearly all of them in the Army. This decision could open more than 230,000 jobs, many in Army and Marine infantry units, to women.

Senator John McCain, R-Ariz., said he supports Panetta's decision.

"The fact is that American women are already serving in harm's way today all over the world and in every branch of our armed forces," he said in a statement. "Many have made the ultimate sacrifice, and our nation owes them a deep debt of gratitude."

________

More women on the front lines?

panetta-opens-combat-roles-to-womenFox News:

Women in all branches of the military soon will have unprecedented opportunities to serve on the front lines of the nation's wars.

Leon Panetta, in one of his last acts as President Obama's defense secretary, is preparing to announce the policy change, which would open hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war, the Pentagon confirmed Wednesday.

The groundbreaking move recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff overturns a 1994 rule banning women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units. Panetta's decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women.

"This policy change will initiate a process whereby the services will develop plans to implement this decision, which was made by the secretary of defense upon the recommendation of the Joint Chiefs of Staff," a senior defense official told reporters on condition of anonymity.

Some front-line military roles may open to women as soon as this year. Assessments for others, such as special operations forces, including Navy SEALS and the Army's Delta Force, may take longer.

A defense official told the Associated Press that the military chiefs must report back to Panetta with their initial implementation plans by May 15. The announcement on Panetta's decision is not expected until Thursday, so the official spoke on condition of anonymity.

Panetta's move expands the Pentagon's action nearly a year ago to open about 14,500 combat positions to women, nearly all of them in the Army. This decision could open more than 230,000 jobs, many in Army and Marine infantry units, to women.

Senator John McCain, R-Ariz., said he supports Panetta's decision.

"The fact is that American women are already serving in harm's way today all over the world and in every branch of our armed forces," he said in a statement. "Many have made the ultimate sacrifice, and our nation owes them a deep debt of gratitude."

________

that's not good / if you really and I mean really think about it /

Don’t know how many of you have served, (I have U.S.A.) – it’s not going to be pretty – IF -- that's my take.

that's not good / if you really and I mean really think about it /

Don’t know how many of you have served, (I have U.S.A.) – it’s not going to be pretty – IF -- that's my take.

If they are are talking about being a grunt...etc. Then I agree this is a very bad idea! Are there women who can hump an 80lbs pack up a mountain in 100 degree heat then go into to combat...well yeah of course there are, but they are the exception that proves the rule, and you don't make policy for the exception.

wallbash.gif I thought this argument was settled 20 years ago.

Ryan Smith: The Reality That Awaits Women in Combat

A Pentagon push to mix the sexes ignores how awful cheek-by-jowl life is on the battlefield.

RYAN SMITH

America has been creeping closer and closer to allowing women in combat, so Wednesday's news that the decision has now been made is not a surprise. It appears that female soldiers will be allowed on the battlefield but not in the infantry. Yet it is a distinction without much difference: Infantry units serve side-by-side in combat with artillery, engineers, drivers, medics and others who will likely now include women. The Pentagon would do well to consider realities of life in combat as it pushes to mix men and women on the battlefield.

Many articles have been written regarding the relative strength of women and the possible effects on morale of introducing women into all-male units. Less attention has been paid to another aspect: the absolutely dreadful conditions under which grunts live during war.

Most people seem to believe that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have merely involved driving out of a forward operating base, patrolling the streets, maybe getting in a quick firefight, and then returning to the forward operating base and its separate shower facilities and chow hall. The reality of modern infantry combat, at least the portion I saw, bore little resemblance to this sanitized view.

(Snip)

Doesn't this thing have to be approved by Congress also? I don't see having women on the front lines as a good idea at all and I think Panetta just said this to distract attention away from his friend Hillary.

Doesn't this thing have to be approved by Congress also? I don't see having women on the front lines as a good idea at all and I think Panetta just said this to distract attention away from his friend Hillary.

I believe you are correct about getting Congress to vote either up or down.

I think the women who can meet the physical requirements should be allowed to serve in combat. Those who can't should be placed in support roles. Set up a rigorous physical test, and if you can't pass it, then you can't be a warrior. Just like if you can't swim then you can't be a Navy SEAL, or if you're afraid of heights then you won't be a pilot. No need to "dumb things down" or set the bar lower.

I think the women who can meet the physical requirements should be allowed to serve in combat. Those who can't should be placed in support roles. Set up a rigorous physical test, and if you can't pass it, then you can't be a warrior. Just like if you can't swim then you can't be a Navy SEAL, or if you're afraid of heights then you won't be a pilot. No need to "dumb things down" or set the bar lower.

The problem is physically women are different then men. Say a woman can pass SEAL Training, can she live in the jungle for 6 weeks?

There are a number of "Liberal Women" that I'd like to having walking point for me.

From most that I know of... They'd make good "Heavy Footed Landmine Sweepers".

I think the torture of captured women in Muslim countries would be horrific. Men are raped there as well, but I don't think the people that are climbing on the PC bandwagon have truly considered the reality. Some have said that standards for women and men were relaxed by the Armed Services, leading to a fitness decline. Don't know if that's true, but the military is one area where the "tip-of-the-spear" needs to be hard. Relaxing standards, as a trade-off for PCBS doesn't work-IMO.

Not all capable women are Amazons, with a chip on their shoulders.

The daughter of one of our best friends served 2 tours of Iraq, as an LT in charge of a transportation unit. She received a bronze star and came home a Captain, after her service. She's very fit & pretty & was a soccer player & cross country runner, who regularly won special awards and bested young men in basic & on her ROTC assignments [graduated Colorado University] including getting her jump wings. She's not an Amazon, but she is determined, a dead shot & was cool under fire.....forming a defensive perimetesr and calling in air strikes during several convoy ambushes. She's capable, but I don't think even she would want to become a SEAL. She left active duty, after doing some special projects for the Army [she was in Ordnance].

BTW: She's still in the Colorado National Guard & will probably make the rank of major, before her obligation is up.

• 3 weeks later...