'Doctors must learn care and compassion': Prince Charles claims modern medicine is putting the 'human touch' at risk

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

Doctors-learn-care-compassion-Prince-Charles-claims-modern-medicine-putting-human-touch-risk.htmlUK Daily Mail:

The Health Service must learn to listen to its patients and be more caring, Prince Charles said yesterday.

Modern medicine and technology are putting the ‘human touch’ at risk, according to the heir to the throne.

In a heartfelt plea, he said medical schools should try to foster a climate of care and compassion among doctors.

Charles’s intervention follows a series of reports of appalling treatment by NHS staff, including dying patients left screaming for water.

He called on doctors and nurses to heed what patients say so they can develop the ‘healing empathy’ so badly needed.

Writing in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, the prince set out a vision apparently in response to studies showing many patients feel ignored.

He said: ‘In the individual encounter between patient and clinician, we are led to believe that there is currently a “crisis in caring”. I am sure that this is not the case in many or most such encounters.

‘Nevertheless, I am equally sure that there is much more that can be done to foster and enhance those age-old qualities of human kindness and compassion.

‘The media is full of instances where these have been palpably lacking, and I have heard of others speaking of the need to restore urgently a climate of care and compassion at the heart of our health services.’

Last month, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said there was a ‘kind of normalisation of cruelty’ in the worst hospitals, with patients too often subjected to coldness, resentment, indifference and even contempt.

________

What did he expect from nationalized health care?