Voters now see Romney as a likeable leader

clearvision

voters-now-see-romney-as-likeable-leaderFOX News:

The left’s worst nightmare is becoming a reality, and historic post-debate polling numbers reflect those fears. New reports indicate the Rocky Mountain presidential debate moved invaluable mountains for the Romney for President campaign. His debate performance demonstrated what no number of ads and no amount of money had been able to buy – that he’s a likable leader.

The latest Gallup tracking poll shows Romney scored a decisive 52-point debate win (72% - 20%) over President Obama. The former Massachusetts governor also pulled ahead of President Obama 49% - 45% in the latest Pew Research Center’s presidential poll.

I must admit to having an unexpected bout of pre-debate doubts heading into Denver. Attending a number of focus groups and interactive polls recently, I heard from voters across the spectrum - men, women, undecided, independent, liberal, and conservative. Most notable were the views of the all-important independent voters in the battleground states.

Many saw Gov. Romney as a competent businessman, but they viewed the CEO title as a negative, one that gave him an “out-of-touch” air. Despite Romney’s record of success, at the time, many said they didn’t plan to vote for him simply because they didn’t like him.

Yet, after 18 months of campaigning across the country and countless hours of paid and earned media, it took just 90 minutes of facts and fortitude on the debate stage in Denver for the former Massachusetts governor to change that perception.Scissors-32x32.png

"after 18 months of campaigning across the country and countless hours of paid and earned media, it took just 90 minutes of facts"

@clearvision

That's quite a ratio of costs to eventual pay off. All about access to the mainstream and image in a semi neutral environment. Guess the truth comes out eventually.

The Tears of Unfathomable Sadness

Posted on | October 9, 2012 | 16 Comments and 0 Reactions

Andrew Sullivan emotionally implodes over the latest poll:

The Pew poll is devastating, just devastating. Before the debate, Obama had a 51 – 43 lead; now, Romney has a 49 – 45 lead. That’s a simply unprecedented reversal for a candidate in October. . . .

Seriously: has that kind of swing ever happened this late in a campaign? Has any candidate lost 18 points among women voters in one night ever? And we are told that when Obama left the stage that night, he was feeling good. That’s terrifying. On every single issue, Obama has instantly plummeted into near-oblivion. . . .

Look: I’m trying to rally some morale, but I’ve never seen a candidate this late in the game, so far ahead, just throw in the towel in the way Obama did last week – throw away almost every single advantage he had with voters and manage to enable his opponent to seem as if he cares about the middle class as much as Obama does. . . .

Read the rest. I should resist the temptation of schadenfreude.

I should. But I can’t. Scissors-32x32.png

http://theothermccain.com/2012/10/09/the-tears-of-unfathomable-sadness/

Andrew Sullivan Melts Down (Again) Over Obama Debate Performance

October 8, 2012 | Filed under Categories | Posted by Paul

Andy’s latest rant is sure to raise a smile. The great irony is that he identifies the problem with laser precision but is clueless as to the cause.

The Pew poll is devastating, just devastating. Before the debate, Obama had a 51 – 43 lead; now, Romney has a 49 – 45 lead. That’s a simply unprecedented reversal for a candidate in October. Before Obama had leads on every policy issue and personal characteristic; now Romney leads in almost all of them. Obama’s performance gave Romney a 12 point swing! I repeat: a 12 point swing.

Romney’s favorables are above Obama’s now. Yes, you read that right. Romney’s favorables are higher than Obama’s right now. That gender gap that was Obama’s firewall? Over in one night:

Currently, women are evenly divided (47% Obama, 47% Romney). Last month, Obama led Romney by 18 points (56% to 38%) among women likely voters.

Seriously: Scissors-32x32.png http://wizbangblog.com/2012/10/08/andrew-sullivan-melts-down-again-over-obama-debate-performance/