Quasi Official New and Improved VP Debate Thread

Valin

www.therightreasons.netThe Right Reasons:

Five things to watch in the U.S. vice presidential debate

Andy Sullivan

10/9/12

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. vice presidential debates usually don't matter much, but the October 11 showdown between Democratic incumbent Joe Biden and Republican challenger Paul Ryan could be an exception.

Democrats are counting on Biden to blunt the momentum of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who has gained ground after a strong debate performance against President Barack Obama last week.

Opinion polls show the race for the White House virtually tied with four weeks to go until the election.

Here are five things to watch for in Thursday's debate in Danville, Kentucky:

(Snip)

Ryan Gets Ready

Paul Ryan’s debate mantra is “Prepare, prepare, prepare.”

Robert Costa

10/8/12

Paul Ryan may be the first vice-presidential nominee who once prepped a veep nominee.

In late 1996, Ryan, then 26 years old, worked as a policy adviser for Jack Kemp, a former New York congressman and Bob Dole’s running mate. On the trail, Ryan guided Kemp as he prepared for his October debate with vice president Al Gore. The official prep sessions, however, were mostly a disaster. Kemp rarely practiced, and when he did, he lost his temper. At one mock debate, according to writer Robert Draper, Kemp “shot the bird” at Senator Judd Gregg, who was playing Gore, and stormed out of the room.

(Snip)

The mock debates — excluding the laid-back sessions in jeans in Ryan’s hometown — have purposefully been more formal. From the first mock debates in a Washington, D.C., hotel to the run-throughs at Wintergreen, Ryan and Olson have been seated at a conference-room table, just as they will be in Danville, Ky., under the bright lights. Ryan’s aides are hushed as Flaherty or Healey open the sessions, and the atmosphere, according to a Romney official, is “charged.” Olson has mastered Biden’s mannerisms, down to his long-windedness and hand gestures. Olson’s tactics echo those of Senator Rob Portman, who played the role of President Obama during Mitt Romney’s debate prep and pestered the former governor about his responses.

(Snip)

I am really looking forward to this one.

I am looking forward to the day hopefully soon that a moving van comes to the White House and moves the Obamas out.

• Like 2

I am looking forward to the day hopefully soon that a moving van comes to the White House and moves the Obamas out.

I'm looking forward to the day when there is a Democrat President that has a clue, as to what is going on and what to do about it.

I can dream can't I?

• Like 1

pollyannaish

I'm looking forward to the day when there is a Democrat President that has a clue, as to what is going on and what to do about it.

I can dream can't I?

Just double checking...not holding your breath for it, right?

• Like 1

I can dream can't I?

Just double checking...not holding your breath for it, right?

Hey! I would just like to point out it has happened before...Ok I grant you it has been 50-60 years...but what has happened once can happen again! I want it to happen because I'm tired of the GOP having to clean up the mess left from the Dems.

Romney campaign stresses that VP debate will be Biden’s 19th, Ryan’s first

When Joe Biden meets Paul Ryan in Kentucky this week, it will be the 19th time in his political career on stage at either a presidential or vice presidential debate.

That’s a fact the Romney campaign is stressing ahead of Thursday’s showdown at Centre College because it will be the first time Ryan, the Wisconsin congressman, has debated at that level.

“This is Congressman Ryan’s first time on this big stage, so we’re taking preparation seriously,” Ryan spokesman Brendan Buck said Tuesday in a statement to The Daily Caller.

snip

Big stakes for Biden and Ryan in VP debate

By Dan Balz, Published: October 9The Washington Post

Rarely has a vice presidential debate been as crucial as the one between Vice President Biden and Rep. Paul Ryan on Thursday night will be. After Mitt Romney’s lopsided victory over President Obama in Denver last week, the exchange will arrive at a fluid and potentially pivotal moment in the campaign.

For the Obama team, Thursday will offer an opportunity to short-circuit the advances Romney has made since the first presidential debate. For the GOP, Ryan will have a chance to piggyback on Romney’s performance and solidify the gains their ticket has made in recent days.

The stakes are also higher than usual because the participants have a standing beyond their roles as running mates. They are real players, not potted plants or Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/decision2012/big-stakes-for-biden-and-ryan-in-vp-debate/2012/10/09/b24d55de-1249-11e2-be82-c3411b7680a9_story.html?hpid=z1

Ryan: Biden is going to come 'flying' in debate

Catalina Camia

6:01PM EST October 8. 2012 - GOP vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan says he's ready for Joe Biden to come at him like a "cannonball" in their debate later this week.

"Because they had such a bad debate, Joe Biden is just going to come flying at us," Ryan told radio host Frank Beckmann on WJR in Detroit. "It seems pretty clear that their new strategy is just to call us liars, to descend into a mud pit." Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.usatoday.com/story/onpolitics/2012/10/08/paul-ryan-debate-joe-biden-wjr-interview/1621393/

When Joe Biden meets Paul Ryan in Kentucky this week, it will be the 19th time in his political career on stage at either a presidential or vice presidential debate.

That’s a fact the Romney campaign is stressing ahead of Thursday’s showdown at Centre College because it will be the first time Ryan, the Wisconsin congressman, has debated at that level.

“This is Congressman Ryan’s first time on this big stage, so we’re taking preparation seriously,” Ryan spokesman Brendan Buck said Tuesday in a statement to The Daily Caller.

snip

Let’s Be Real: Ryan v Biden Will Be an Absolute Slaughter

By: tomjeffersonsghost (Diary) | October 7th, 2012 at 11:37 AM |

I could give you objective analysis detailing the strengths and weaknesses of both Paul Ryan and Vice President Biden, and you know tell you how they compare to each other and who holds an advantage over the other in such and such category. But I know if I did that I would be wasting my time and yours as well. Look, there’s no need to break this down, Paul Ryan is going to dismantle the vice president.

I mean sure Mr. Biden runs from facts and truth like roaches when the lights click on Scissors-32x32.png

Listen don’t bring your popcorn and Cola, bring flowers and where black because somebody’s getting buried, on the real. They better hook up the lifeline and phone call option from Who Wants to be a Millionaire because Biden’s gonna need all the help he can get plus divine intervention, magic, a Paul Ryan voodoo doll perhaps, a witch’s hex, a silver bullet, some garlic, a wooden stake, Holy water, Thor’s hammer. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.redstate.com/tomjeffersonsghost/2012/10/07/lets-be-real-ryan-v-biden-will-be-an-absolute-slaughter/

snip

Let’s Be Real: Ryan v Biden Will Be an Absolute Slaughter

By: tomjeffersonsghost (Diary) | October 7th, 2012 at 11:37 AM |

I could give you objective analysis detailing the strengths and weaknesses of both Paul Ryan and Vice President Biden, and you know tell you how they compare to each other and who holds an advantage over the other in such and such category. But I know if I did that I would be wasting my time and yours as well. Look, there’s no need to break this down, Paul Ryan is going to dismantle the vice president.

I mean sure Mr. Biden runs from facts and truth like roaches when the lights click on Scissors-32x32.png

Listen don’t bring your popcorn and Cola, bring flowers and where black because somebody’s getting buried, on the real. They better hook up the lifeline and phone call option from Who Wants to be a Millionaire because Biden’s gonna need all the help he can get plus divine intervention, magic, a Paul Ryan voodoo doll perhaps, a witch’s hex, a silver bullet, some garlic, a wooden stake, Holy water, Thor’s hammer. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.redstate.com/tomjeffersonsghost/2012/10/07/lets-be-real-ryan-v-biden-will-be-an-absolute-slaughter/

Or not.

I'm as nervous for this one as I was for the last...which means I'm doing a lot of praying. Debates, as we have seen, are very, very volatile and I have learned that in politics, the worst thing you can do is count your chickens.

So I'm not going to.

I'm still confident of a Romney win the election...but I've had a few nervous moments and I'm sure I still will between here and there.

I'm as nervous for this one as I was for the last...which means I'm doing a lot of praying. Debates, as we have seen, are very, very volatile and I have learned that in politics, the worst thing you can do is count your chickens.

So I'm not going to.

I'm still confident of a Romney win the election...but I've had a few nervous moments and I'm sure I still will between here and there.

Settle down and drink some koolaid.gifLMFAO.gif

Joe’s World

On Vice President Biden’s foreign-policy “advantage”

Daniel Foster

10/11/12

We are told, in a variety of journalistic passive constructions, that Vice President Joseph Biden “is expected to have an advantage on foreign policy” in the imminent debate with Representative Paul Ryan, who in his career thus far has been more of a home-front guy. Indeed, among the surfeit of reasons that candidate Obama chose then-senator Biden as his running mate (all of which, I’m sure, sounded good at the time) was that Biden’s thousand years hanging around the Senate Foreign Relations Committee were supposed to offset Obama’s own thin portfolio on politics among nations. (A dear friend and Obama supporter, cataloguing the president’s FoPo credentials for my benefit recently, led with young Barack’s 1983 bachelor’s degree in political science, with a concentration in international relations.)

No doubt, it would be a mistake for Ryan to underestimate Biden, both on foreign policy and at large. For all his verbal infelicities, the vice president has a reserve of gravitas that he seems to be able to tap at key moments, and nobody sticks in Washington for nearly half a century without mastering the art of sounding as if he knows what he’s talking about. The trouble is, on key foreign-policy issues over the years, the vice president doesn’t. That is, even if he scores some sort of debate “win” on a foreign-policy question — say, by breaking out a consonant soup of foreign-leader names and treaty acronyms — it won’t change the fact that Biden just might be, in Charles Krauthammer’s memorable formulation, “the Herbert Hoover of American foreign policy,” holding the record for being wrong on the most issues.

Which ones? Well, in the interest of space, let’s stick to the top five:

(Snip)

All he needs is the rope.....

Biden: 'You Ever See Me Rope-a-Dope?'

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/biden-you-ever-see-me-rope-dope_654202.html

Scissors-32x32.png

Vice President Biden arrived at about 10:50 a.m. at New Castle Airport. He climbed out of a gray SUV, greeted some military (see below) and then walked toward the press gathered near the wing.

Asked about tonight's debate he said, "Looking forward to it."

Asked about his strategy, whether it was rope-a-dope, he responded:

"You ever see me rope-a-dope?"

Scissors-32x32.png

All he needs is the rope.....

Biden: 'You Ever See Me Rope-a-Dope?'

http://www.weeklysta...ope_654202.html

Scissors-32x32.png

Vice President Biden arrived at about 10:50 a.m. at New Castle Airport. He climbed out of a gray SUV, greeted some military (see below) and then walked toward the press gathered near the wing.

Asked about tonight's debate he said, "Looking forward to it."

Asked about his strategy, whether it was rope-a-dope, he responded:

"You ever see me rope-a-dope?"

Scissors-32x32.png

Nope.