Brown to Warren: 'I'm Not a Student in Your Classroom'

saveliberty

brown-warren-im-not-student-your-classroom_653346.htmlThe Weekly Standard:

Brown-Warren.jpg

Brown to Warren: 'I'm Not a Student in Your Classroom'

9:00 PM, Oct 1, 2012 • By MICHAEL WARREN

Scissors-32x32.png

The second debate between Republican Scott Brown and Democrat Elizabeth Warren was a contentious one, with Brown deploying a few well-placed lines that may have given him the edge over Warren.

Moderated by David Gregory of NBC and held at the University of Massachusetts Lowell, Monday's debate featured an aggressive back and forth between the candidates on issues of Warren's Native American heritage, both candidates' legal work, and their positions on a variety of political issues. Brown cited his bipartisanship in the Senate, while Warren argued she would be a more reliably liberal vote on behalf of "working families."

Warren, who began the debate looking comfortable and speaking smoothly, was tripped up when she answered a question from Gregory about which Republican senators she would like to work with.

"Probably Richard Lugar comes to mind," said Warren, referring to the Indiana Republican who lost his primary in May and will not be returning to the Senate. When Gregory pointed this out and asked her to name a Republican "who will be there in the Senate," Warren replied that her answer "depends on what the subject matter is."

More here:

The Magazine

The Natural ­Versus the Phony

Can a politically gifted Republican survive in Democratic Massachusetts?

Oct 8, 2012, Vol. 18, No. 04 • By MICHAEL WARREN

Scissors-32x32.png

Boston

Elizabeth Warren is opening a new campaign office in the Boston neighborhood of Roxbury. The 63-year-old Harvard law professor is wearing a pink jacket, white blouse, and black pants. After shaking hands with everyone around the parking lot, she chooses a low spot in the pavement in front of the office door to speak to the crowd. Warren is noticeably shorter than the local community leaders who introduce her. She clutches the microphone in her right hand and gestures with her left as she works through her stump speech.

LOG.v18-04.Warren.GaryLocke.jpg

“I don’t kid myself. I know it’s going to be a fight,” Warren says. Her voice is flat, her rhythm slow and deliberate. “I know it’s going to be tough. I know they’re going to throw everything they possibly can at me. I know this. I know this. But here’s what I want to tell you. I am not afraid.” Warren’s voice gets louder. “I am not afraid.” And more piercing. “I am not afraid!”

And why should she be? Warren is running for senator as a liberal Democrat in Massachusetts, in a year when the liberal Democratic president is up for reelection, and in a state where he’s never been more popular. Her opponent is the 53-year-old incumbent, Scott Brown, the only Republican in the state’s congressional delegation, and the only Republican statewide elected official. Brown won a low-turnout special election in 2010 by driving around the state in his pickup truck, wearing a brown Carhartt jacket. His image as a moderate Republican with blue-collar roots appealed to Democratic-leaning middle-class independents. In Massachusetts, though, Democrats outnumber Republicans by more than three to one. Warren ought to be running away with this race.

According to this morning's WRKO talk show hosts, Brown "mopped the floor with Warren".

Of course, this is the state that continued to send a murderer, drunk and mysoginistic liar to the Senate until he assumed room temperature, so all of the valid problems with Warren are actually resume enhancers.