Army Corps not liable for Katrina damage, appeals panel finds

Draggingtree

Army-Corps-not-liable-for-Katrina-damage-appeals-panel-findsThe Christian Science Monitor:

Army Corps not liable for Katrina damage, appeals panel finds

New Orleans residents were dealt a setback Monday when a federal appeals panel, upending its own earlier decision, ruled that the US Army Corps of Engineers cannot be sued for damages stemming from losses sustained after hurricane Katrina.

By Mark Guarino, Staff writer / September 25, 2012

Five hurricane Katrina survivors seeking government compensation for lost property and livelihoods were dealt a setback this week, as a federal appeals panel absolved the US Army Corps of Engineers from liability for damages stemming from failure of the flood-control system that protects New Orleans.

The panel's decision Monday came as a surprise, in effect upending its previous finding in March that the Army Corps was liable for some damages. The Army Corps has primary responsibility for building and maintaining the network of levees and flood-control mechanisms surrounding New Orleans, and plaintiffs claim that the floodwaters that inundated most of New Orleans in August 2005 – killing nearly 2,000 people, displacing half the population, and causing more than $81 billion in damage – were not the result of a natural disaster but rather of failure by the corps to supply adequate protection.

Previously, a lower court had blasted the Army Corps for failing to maintain the flood-protection system. The five residents suing the corps – and about 500,000 other claimants in line behind them – say they are owed Scissors-32x32.png

So who is responsible? Did they mention anything about that?

The people that decided to live below sea level in an area hit by strong hurricanes on a regular basis?

The people that decided to live below sea level in an area hit by strong hurricanes on a regular basis?

you might be on to something

Very Good clearvision!

Actually I was thinking more in terms of the levee failure, and the culture of corruption in N.O./LA.

Very Good clearvision!

Actually I was thinking more in terms of the levee failure, and the culture of corruption in N.O./LA.

And you my friend hit the nail on the head.

@Draggingtree

It just seems to me that A. Someone should be taken to the woodshed over this. B. (and in many ways more importantly) Big cities corruption (big and small) needs to be looked at. I love reading about organized crime, and the one thing that comes though over and over is, in order for OC to thrive there must be corruption, by public officials...it might be the mayor, city councilman, building inspector, cop on the beat...but there must be corruption. This true no matter which gang you're talking about.

• Like 1