English for All, Freedom for None

Draggingtree

English-for-All-Freedom-for-NoneLudwig von Mises Institute:

English for All, Freedom for None

Mises Daily:Tuesday, September 25, 2012 by Danny Hieber

"English should be the official language of this country" has become something of a mantra for the Republican Party, uttered to raucous cheers in nearly every Republican debate or speech. Moreover, today several organizations exist to lobby for English as the official language, including U.S. English, ProEnglish, and English First. Though the aims of these organizations and politicians vary, they all agree on one central objective: to make English the official language of the United States.

Advocates of official English, however, have given insufficient thought to what they mean by the terms they use, the unseen effects such policies entail, and whether the means they choose are in fact fit to attain the ends aimed at. No good praxeological analysis can do without addressing all three of these concerns, each best summarized by some of the great thinkers in liberal philosophy and economics: It was Voltaire who said "If you wish to converse with me, define your terms"; Scissors-32x32.png

Defining "the Problem"

Official English movements have been cropping up in the United States for longer than there's been a United States. The colonial statist Benjamin Franklin penned in 1753,

They come in droves.… Few of their children in the country learn English.… Advertisements intended for to be general are now printed in Dutch and English, the signs in Our Streets have inscriptions in both languages, and in some places only German, they began of late all their bonds and other legal writings in their own language, which (tho' I think it ought not to be) are allowed good in Our Courts.[3] Scissors-32x32.png

Bucket List

My Bucket List 2013 (HERE IS ALL I WANT)

Obama: Gone!

Put "GOD" back in America!!!

Borders: Closed!

Congress: Obey its own laws NOW

Language: English only

Culture: Constitution, and the Bill of Rights!

Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before Welfare!

NO freebies to Non-Citizens!

We the people are coming!

• Like 2