The Most Important War You Probably Know Nothing About

Valin

Foreign Policy

Gather round, children, and let me tell you about the War of 1812.

JAMES TRAUB

JUNE 15, 2012

war_of_1812.jpg

Can you feel the excitement in the air? June 18 is the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, and I'm sure you're thinking: Why no parades down Main Street? Why no historical reenactors costumed as President James Madison, who signed the declaration of war, or Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, the Hero of Lake Erie? Because Americans have a short historical memory, that's why. Or perhaps it's because we don't commemorate equivocal wars. But don't be fooled by the absence of huzzahs: The War of 1812 was one of the great liberating events of American history, and I'm here to tell you why.

One of the buried facts of our collective past is that the United States came very close to dissolving long before slavery sundered the union. America was in almost perpetual peril during the quarter century from the French Revolution to the Treaty of Ghent, which concluded the war with Britain in 1814. Throughout this period, the two great world powers of the time, France and England, sought to destroy each other; each tried to bribe, seduce, subvert, or intimidate the neutral states in order to tip the balance in their favor. In this great and cynical game, the United States, which at the time constituted what we would now call "an emerging nation," was one of the most valuable prizes.

American politics consisted of, in effect, an "English" party and a "French" party. This was scarcely unusual at the time: Both republican Holland and autocratic Russia, among others, tilted back and forth between partisans of the two. In America, however, the Founding Fathers recognized that this contest for supremacy posed a mortal threat to the nation. In his brief farewell address, George Washington ardently defended the policy of neutrality to which he had consistently hewed. The president warned his fellow citizens that "excessive partiality for one foreign nation and excessive dislike of another cause those whom they actuate to see danger only on one side, and serve to veil and even second the arts of influence on the other."

(Snip)

The founders abhored factionalism, i.e., 'party' in contemprory colloquial terms. I believe the founders would be shocked at the speed into which the republic they forged deteriorated into the factualism of contemporary politics.

And quite frankly I believe that virtually all of the founders, regardless on which side of pro / anti Federalist issue they were on, would be view contemporary politics as emminently reprehensible.

The Declaration of Independence speaks truth to power, i.e., "we hold these truths to be self evident..." and for these reasons govenments created. It IS the poeple's responsablity to either wear the chains of tyranny lightly or water the tree of liberty with blood. The people can NOT have both; neither do they deserve such.