'And what do you know?': Business leaders hit back at Obama after he says the wealthy AREN'T responsible for their own success

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

Obama-says-wealthy-ARENT-responsible-success.htmlUK Daily Mail:

America's leading small business association has slammed Barack Obama for showing 'an utter lack of understanding' of the country's entrepreneurs when he told them: 'If you've got a business - you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.'

In a hard-hitting statement to Mail Online, the National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB) said: 'What a disappointment to hear President Obama's revealing comments challenging the significance of America's entrepreneurs.

'His unfortunate remarks over the weekend show an utter lack of understanding and appreciation for the people who take a huge personal risk and work endless hours to start a business and create jobs.'

President Barack Obama said in a speech at the weekend that governments and not individuals create jobs, telling entrepreneurs: 'If you've got a business - you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.'

He added: 'You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.'

The inflammatory campaign speech comments underline the extent to which Obama believes that the state rather than ordinary citizens create jobs and wealth.

They highlight a key contrast with Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican nominee, who is preaching a message of wealth creation by individuals and reinvigorating the private sector.

And the spokesman for the NFIB added: 'I'm sure every small-business owner who took a second mortgage on their home, maxed out their credit cards or borrowed money from their own retirement savings to start their business disagrees strongly with President Obama's claim. They know that hard work does matter.

'Every small business is not indebted to the government or some other benefactor. If anything, small businesses are historically an economic and job-creating powerhouse in spite of the government.'

________

Obama's tax plan would make small business owners indebted to the government soon enough...

saveliberty

H/T Instapundit

He’s likable enough. Plus, from the comments:

“Obama to Americans: You don’t deserve what you’ve earned”

Americans to Obama: “Funny, we were thinking the exact same thing about you…”

pollyannaish

In what world is this good strategy? I must be really cut off from the mainstream of Democrat thought. Of COURSE business owners build businesses. They HIRE people to help them do it, but without them taking a risk with their own money, there is nothing to exchange. It's bizarre.

I'm just not sure what to make of this kind of stuff. If it plays well to the average American, I will be greatly disappointed.

Draggingtree

Home » Opinion » Editorials

July 16. 2012 6:46PM

Obama to entrepreneurs: Your success belongs to the state

President Obama has transitioned from “the private sector is doing fine” to “there is no private sector.” That is the gist of the argument he made in a campaign speech in the critical swing state of Virginia on Friday.

Speaking of American entrepreneurs, Obama said, “Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

Obama explained his theory this way: “...look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, ‘Well, it must be because I was just so smart.’ There are a lot of smart people out there. ‘It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.’ Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help.”

He mentioned teachers, firefighters and builders of roads as examples of those who are responsible for the success of America’s entrepreneurs. The economic illiteracy of the President’s Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120717/OPINION01/707179995/1004/opinion